Re: [GTh] Thomas 105

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22 7:00 AM
      From: "Maurice Cormier" <cobby@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 22, 2003 3:06 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Thomas 105

      > The use of the word "harlot" in Thomas 105 has always seemed a bit
      > strange to me.
      >
      > I am wondering if any members who are fluent in (or familiar with)
      > Coptic could double check this word in any available Coptic/English
      > dictionary to see if other translations of the word might exist. As a
      > wild guess, could it possibly mean "widow" or the like ????
      >
      > Maurice Cormier

      My Coptic is very limited but the word translated "harlot" appears to
      be derived from the Greek word PORNE. This means primarily a
      commercial prostitute, but is widely used for a woman regarded as
      sexually immoral, whether involved in commercial sex or not.
      The Greek word is used e.g. in Revelation, metaphorically for an
      idolatress but I doubt if this is relevant here.

      Andrew Criddle
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22 7:34 AM
        [Maurice]:
        > The use of the word "harlot" in Thomas 105 has always seemed a bit
        > strange to me.
        >
        > I am wondering if any members who are fluent in (or familiar with)
        > Coptic could double check this word in any available Coptic/English
        > dictionary to see if other translations of the word might exist. As a
        > wild guess, could it possibly mean "widow" or the like ????

        PORNH was a Greek word that meant 'harlot', according to my limited sources.
        You may be able to get a broader range of meaning from a better
        Greek-language source, but I'd be surprised if there was a semantic
        connection between 'harlot' and 'widow'.

        Mike G.
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22 9:45 AM
          Andrew Criddle wrote:
          > The Greek word is used e.g. in Revelation, metaphorically for an
          > idolatress but I doubt if this is relevant here.

          It might be, if the HS that Jesus is made to speak of as "the Mother" in
          this saying and "my true mother" elsewhere was associated by his opponents
          with the goddess Astarte, or some such. Alternately, Christian opponents
          might have pointed out that "spirit" (or rather, spiritual inspiration) can
          be used by anyone as justification for one's ideas, whether good or bad.
          Thus "spirit" as indiscriminate whore.

          BTW, I'll be away from the list until after Labor Day. Hopefully, Jacob Knee
          can handle pending messages. If not, they'll have to wait until I get back.
          (This will not affect most posters, such as Andrew and Maurice.)

          Heading off to upper lower Michigan (our state comes in two parts) with best
          wishes to all,