  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2003
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre@b...>
      > I recall seeing somewhere that the first thing that caught Grenfell
      > and Hunt's eyes as they excavated in Oxyrhynchus in 1897 was the
      > KARFOS from what turned out to be Saying 26 of Thomas, and that they
      > recognised this half-saying as a version of the saying also found in
      > Matt. 7.3-5 // Luke 6.41-42. But I can't lay my hands on where I
      > read this now. Or even if I may have imagined it. Can anyone help?
      > Many thanks
      > Mark
      > -----------------------------
      > Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@b...
      > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
      > http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      > http://NTGateway.com

      Hello Mark !

      Hmmmmm ! Guess we can't call you an "old timer" just yet if you
      cant' remember the story rendition as it appeared in the Chicago
      Tribune article of January 17, 1904 ....

      (snip ... snip ... snip)

      "... a day or two later Dr Hunt was sorting the papyri and he noticed
      on a crumpled fragment, writen on both sides in uncial (or capital)
      characters, the Greek word "karphos". The bit of papyrus was some five
      and three quarter inches by three and three quarter inches, with
      ragged edges. It needed the lynx eye of the expert and the learning of
      the scholar to catch its significance. "Karphos," said Dr Hunt,"why
      that is 'mote', the word that occurs in the New Testament in a
      well-known passage". Looking again he found that it read thus:-
      "And then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy
      brother's eye". It was, in short, the exact wording of Luke, 6 : 42
      and almost exactly also of Matthew, 7:5, only the beginning was not
      there, "Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beram out of thine own
      eye." .... "

      And the article goes on for a fair bit but not specifically with
      reference to this particular logion ....

      However, in Bernard P. Grenfell's own "Logia Iesou" - Sayings of our
      Lord from an Early Greek Papyrus as published in 1897, the eminent
      scholar makes (but) a (single) short commentary on this particular
      logion .... in reference to "Sayings Gospels" (as quoted by Papias and
      Eusebius) Dr Grenfell points out:

      "To sustain this theory" ... (that the find is from a sayings
      collection)... "it is necessary to undertake some consideration of the
      relations of the fraagment to our Gospels. The logia which have clear
      parallels in the Gospels are the first, fifth, sixth and seventh." ...
      (fragments, that is) ... "The first, so far as it is preserved,
      corresponds precisely with the language of Luke vi. 42, but the
      difference between this reading and that of Matt. vii.5 is too slight
      to be of much importance ... "

      .... and , "that's all he wrote ...." ... well, at least "that's all
      he wrote about the "mote" logion .....

      Hope this is useful ...

      Maurice Cormier