KARFOS

  • Mark Goodacre
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2003
      I recall seeing somewhere that the first thing that caught Grenfell
      and Hunt's eyes as they excavated in Oxyrhynchus in 1897 was the word
      KARFOS from what turned out to be Saying 26 of Thomas, and that they
      recognised this half-saying as a version of the saying also found in
      Matt. 7.3-5 // Luke 6.41-42. But I can't lay my hands on where I
      read this now. Or even if I may have imagined it. Can anyone help?

      Many thanks
      Mark
      -----------------------------
      Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
      University of Birmingham fax: +44 121 414 4381
      Birmingham B15 2TT UK

      http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
      http://NTGateway.com
    • jmgcormier
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2003
        --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Goodacre" <M.S.Goodacre@b...>
        wrote:
        > I recall seeing somewhere that the first thing that caught Grenfell
        > and Hunt's eyes as they excavated in Oxyrhynchus in 1897 was the
        word
        > KARFOS from what turned out to be Saying 26 of Thomas, and that they
        > recognised this half-saying as a version of the saying also found in
        > Matt. 7.3-5 // Luke 6.41-42. But I can't lay my hands on where I
        > read this now. Or even if I may have imagined it. Can anyone help?
        >
        > Many thanks
        > Mark
        > -----------------------------
        > Dr Mark Goodacre mailto:M.S.Goodacre@b...
        > Dept of Theology tel: +44 121 414 7512
        > Birmingham B15 2TT UK
        >
        > http://www.theology.bham.ac.uk/goodacre
        > http://NTGateway.com

        Hello Mark !

        Hmmmmm ! Guess we can't call you an "old timer" just yet if you
        cant' remember the story rendition as it appeared in the Chicago
        Tribune article of January 17, 1904 ....

        (snip ... snip ... snip)

        "... a day or two later Dr Hunt was sorting the papyri and he noticed
        on a crumpled fragment, writen on both sides in uncial (or capital)
        characters, the Greek word "karphos". The bit of papyrus was some five
        and three quarter inches by three and three quarter inches, with
        ragged edges. It needed the lynx eye of the expert and the learning of
        the scholar to catch its significance. "Karphos," said Dr Hunt,"why
        that is 'mote', the word that occurs in the New Testament in a
        well-known passage". Looking again he found that it read thus:-
        "And then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy
        brother's eye". It was, in short, the exact wording of Luke, 6 : 42
        and almost exactly also of Matthew, 7:5, only the beginning was not
        there, "Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beram out of thine own
        eye." .... "

        And the article goes on for a fair bit but not specifically with
        reference to this particular logion ....

        However, in Bernard P. Grenfell's own "Logia Iesou" - Sayings of our
        Lord from an Early Greek Papyrus as published in 1897, the eminent
        scholar makes (but) a (single) short commentary on this particular
        logion .... in reference to "Sayings Gospels" (as quoted by Papias and
        Eusebius) Dr Grenfell points out:

        "To sustain this theory" ... (that the find is from a sayings
        collection)... "it is necessary to undertake some consideration of the
        relations of the fraagment to our Gospels. The logia which have clear
        parallels in the Gospels are the first, fifth, sixth and seventh." ...
        (fragments, that is) ... "The first, so far as it is preserved,
        corresponds precisely with the language of Luke vi. 42, but the
        difference between this reading and that of Matt. vii.5 is too slight
        to be of much importance ... "

        .... and , "that's all he wrote ...." ... well, at least "that's all
        he wrote about the "mote" logion .....

        Hope this is useful ...

        Maurice Cormier