Re: [GTh] Nag Hammadi & Oxyrhynchus

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2003
      From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2003 2:36 AM
      Subject: RE: [GTh] Nag Hammadi & Oxyrhynchus

      > Maurice Cormier asks:
      >
      > >>Is there any chance you can provide a reference to Hippolytus' quote, or
      > possibly better still, the wording of what you refer to as "a distorted
      > version of logion 4 of our Thomas" ....<<
      >
      > Hippolytus, _Refutation_, Book V, Chapter 2:
      >
      > "But they assert that not only is there in favour of their doctrine,
      > testimony to be drawn from the mysteries of the Assyrians, but also from
      > those of the Phrygians concerning the happy nature--concealed, and yet at
      > the same time disclosed--of things that have been, and are coming into
      > existence, and moreover will be,-(a happy nature) which, (the Naassene)
      > says, is the kingdom of heaven to be sought for within a man. And
      concerning
      > this (nature) they hand down an explicit passage, occurring in the Gospel
      > inscribed according to Thomas, expressing themselves thus: "He who seeks
      me,
      > will find, me in children from seven years old; for there concealed, I
      shall
      > in the fourteenth age be made manifest." This, however, is not (the
      > teaching) of Christ, but of Hippocrates, who uses these words: "A child of
      > seven years is half of a father." And so it is that these (heretics),
      > placing the originative nature of the universe in causative seed, (and)
      > having ascertained the (aphorism) of Hippocrates, that a child of seven
      > years old is half of a father, say that in fourteen years, according to
      > Thomas, he is manifested." (Translation is from _Ante-Nicene Fathers_, Vol
      > V, page 50, but available online if you look for it)
      >
      > Logion #4 is partly preserved in Greek (P. Oxy. IV 654) but it is closer
      > (although not identical) to the Coptic version than the form that
      Hippolytus
      > said the Naasenes used.

      Can I add that there are other sayings attributed to the Naassenes by
      Hippolytus that resemble logia from Thomas.
      e.g. "You devour the dead and make the living; but if you eat the living,
      what will you do ? which vaguely resembles logion 11 in Thomas.
      The Naassenes are a very interesting group, both in their own right and in
      respect of the early use of Thomas.

      Andrew Criddle