[GTh] Re: Gnosticism

  • jmgcormier
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Grondin" <mwgrondin@c...>
      wrote:

      (Snip, snip, snip ....)

      > What subsequent notes have apparently shown is that:
      > 1. The word 'gnosticism' is of relatively recent coinage, and
      > 2. The word 'gnostikos/gnostikoi' may have been an invention of the
      > heresiologists, since the sects they describe may not have used the
      > term of themselves (other than Origen's evidence).

      > BUT, it's important to realize also that:

      1. The sects attacked by the heresiologists DID use the word
      'gnosis' prominently as a special term - which may explain the
      heresiologists' use of 'gnostikos/gnostikoi' (derogatory?), and
      2. Gnostic sects were NOT considered "part of 'greater Christianity'
      in 'the literature'" prior to the coining of the term 'gnosticism'.

      Hello Mike !

      Re #2 above, my point wasen't that "sects" were or were not considered
      "part of greater Christianity in the litterature prior to the coining
      of the term gnosticism" ... but rather that elements of Thomas' brand
      of gnosticism (duality, oneness, light etc) was certainly tolerated of
      (if not indeed promoted towards) people claiming to be Christians.

      The Evangilist John, for example, speaks in no uncertain terms of
      "oneness with the Father" ... he has Jesus claiming to be "the light"
      ... he has Jesus claiming to testify "to" the light, (in John's
      mind was Jesus a Thomasene gnostic ?) etc etc.

      In a similar vein, Paul the great "religion builder" himself, preaches
      much along the same lines, constantly refering to "the spirit" and its
      duality dimension with carnal man, as does James who even speaks of
      "wisdom from above", etc. ... sounds a bit Thomasish to me at
      times .... no ?

      The problem, of course, is that the purging of early Church documents
      deemed to be non compliant towards (post Iraeneus) dogma, coupled to
      the questionable "reworking" (by some scholars) of several Pauline
      texts, leave us in a difficult position to clearly understand how near
      or how far so-called "Christian gnostic beliefs" may have very early
      on (prior to canon) been part of adherents' (tolerated or advocated)
      belief systems.

      Mike Grondin ...

      This is not to say that I think that 'gnosticism' is a good
      umbrella-term. It's too broad and diffuse - as our discussions have
      shown. Nor is it to say that the time prior to the heresiologists
      wasn't characterized by tolerance of a wide variety of beliefs -
      though Paul didn't seem to be too tolerant of a sect which we might
      categorize as 'gnostic'.

      ... again you are refering to a "sect" whereas I was simply raising it
      as part of "Thomasene-like dogma" as embraced by individuals ....

      Mike continues ...

      In any event, however, I think it needs to be stated plainly - lest
      misunderstandings creep in - that disapproval of "the Gnosis" didn't
      await the coining of the term 'gnosticism'.

      Yup ! I think we pretty well all agree with you there ...

      Cheers !

      Maurice Cormier
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
        [Mike McLafferty]:
        > (For that matter, I also was surprised at the lack of reaction to John
        > Lupia's submittal back in March, likening GTh to the Toldoth Jeschu as
        > "purposefully anti-Christian propaganda." In his draft essay, he called
        the
        > GTh writings "comical derisions and parodies of Jesus' sayings,"
        > "cacography," and bawdy "hilarotragoedia," written by the Sadducees and
        > Pharisees. Talk about provocative! Interestingly, Lupia's thesis implies a
        > dating of them even earlier than many Thomas fans dare hope for: "early
        > 30's, or perhaps earlier.")

        Lupia didn't make his "submittal" on this list, so I don't know where you
        saw it. I am familiar with his theory, however, and I don't see a shred of
        evidence for it. He doesn't care if Thomas is early so long as he can
        discredit it as a source of authentic Jesus material and/or a legitimate
        (albeit unorthodox) Christian view.

        Mike G.
      • Michael Mozina
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2, 2003
          I'll toss this idea out since it's been nagging at me for some time now.

          It seems to me that the notion of "becoming like Christ" may very well have
          been a point of contention between the apostles all along. In John17, Jesus
          seems to be suggesting that EVERYONE is capable of this unity in God that he
          experiences. I've seen many folks suggest that the things Thomas couldn't
          write about were along the lines of Thomas becoming "like Christ".

          It seems to me that their could easily have been a skism developing between
          the Thomasine community who believed they COULD achieve this "state of
          consciousness" as Jesus did, and others who saw Jesus as a "holier than
          thou" Messiah, more along the lines of "God incarnate". If this debate
          began with Thomas the apostle, it might explain why the GoT was left out of
          the cannonization process, even though it was authentic material. Maybe
          those who saw Jesus as UNIQUELY Messianic just didn't want to add
          credibility to the notion that others were capable of this same connection
          with God. Comments?

          Michael Mozina
          Mt. Shasta, CA
        • jmgcormier
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
            --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mozina" <michael@e...> wrote:
            > I'll toss this idea out since it's been nagging at me for some time
            now.

            > It seems to me that the notion of "becoming like Christ" may very
            well have been a point of contention between the apostles all along.
            In John17, Jesus seems to be suggesting that EVERYONE is capable of
            this unity in God that he experiences. I've seen many folks suggest
            that the things Thomas couldn't write about were along the lines of
            Thomas becoming "like Christ".

            It seems to me that their could easily have been a skism developing
            between the Thomasine community who believed they COULD achieve this
            "state of consciousness" as Jesus did, and others who saw Jesus as a
            "holier than thou" Messiah, more along the lines of "God incarnate".
            If this debate began with Thomas the appostle, it might explain why
            the GoT was left out of the cannonization process, even though it was
            authentic material.

            Maybe those who saw Jesus as UNIQUELY Messianic just didn't want to
            add credibility to the notion that others were capable of this same
            connection with God. Comments?

            > Michael Mozina
            > Mt. Shasta, CA

            Hello Michael ....

            A few quick comments ...

            First, to me, it is not overly clear which conclusion you want to
            arrive at. Do you wish to demonstrate or explain (1) the reason why
            GoT was left out of the canonization process, or do you wish to
            (2) propose that the "pro Jesus messianic" crowd did not want to
            enhance the position of the "anti Jesus messianic" crowd. There is a
            slight difference on how one might arrive at either. The latter is
            perhaps easier to deal with, because one could almost use this kind of
            strategy as a "fill in the blanks" sort of exercise on any parallel
            question. For example, if circumcision were the issue here instead of
            the legitimacy of the Gospel of Thomas, then one could argue that the
            "anti circumcision" crowd simply became hostile towards the "pro
            circumcision" crowd at one point, and eventually beat them out of an
            opportunity to enhance their position. Or, one could "fill in the
            blanks" with "docetism", the validity of the Gospel of Mary, ... or
            almost any other issue where one faction lost out to another over
            time. (Sort of a "survival of the fitest" dynamic if you wish.)

            If, however, you are seeking to demonstrate why Thomas was never
            canonized, then you are dealing with a very specific challenge which
            cannot be resolved by way of the above.

            Personally I dont think such a claim will be easily demonstrable
            because of my current biases with regards to things which are going to
            be difficult to prove. For example, you are going to have to
            early on demonstrate that "the apostle" Thomas actually wrote GoT.
            (The Greek version, for example, tells us that someone called Judas -
            likely a "twin" wrote it ... and not necessarily an apostle or a
            disciple at that ...) Next you are going to have to demonstrate that
            there actually was "a" (or several) "Thomasene communities".
            (Personally I treat the "community" issue much like I do the "Gospel
            of "Q" issue .... unless and until we have proof of its existance,
            this is a "tough row to hoe.") Then there is the dating issue. You are
            going to have to satisfy arguments that GoT is "pre" canonical if it
            was withheld from it by design and volition. (The jury is still
            deliberating this one ... or at least I hope it is.) etc etc.

            Having said all of this however, the general thrust of your point is
            interesting and worth speculating on further for anyone who is not
            overly concerned with the above and other similar (historicity)
            issues. Wish I could add more ...

            Maurice Cormier
          • Michael Mozina
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 3, 2003
              Thanks for your comments Maurice. I'm not sure I had a specific point in
              mind, I just tossed some ideas out there to get some feedback. I certainly
              couldn't hope to prove any of these ideas through the data I've seen to date
              at least.

              I guess my basic question stems from the notion that it does APPEAR to me
              from the work of Steven Davies and others, that Mark and other synoptic
              writers drew from the materials found in Thomas. ASSUMING (and we all know
              that's dangerous) that these writers actually DID draw from a preexisting
              Thomas, the "rational" (IMO) explanation for this is that this document was
              already circulating and had "credibility" within the various communities at
              that time. The "best" reason I can think of as to why this document was
              respected is that it is in fact an "authentic" document of actual quotes
              from Jesus that were written down by an apostle that spent time on the road
              with Jesus the man.

              *IF* that is so (a leap of faith to be sure), then I can't help but be
              curious as to WHY this document wasn't included in the cannonization
              process. It would APPEAR that there is an explanation here *IF*
              Thomas/Judas (whomever) believed that HE TOO was capable of MESSIANIC LIKE
              KNOWLEDGE as well, and others shunned him for the idea. It kind of ties in
              with the less than flattering portrayal of Thomas in the gospels, and might
              explain the part that Thomas claims he can't pen down for fear of ridicule.

              Now please understand that I realize this is PURE, UNADULTERATED speculation
              at this point, but it does seem to fit all the pieces of the puzzle pretty
              well, and it SEEMS logical to me. I have no way of demonstrating any of
              this other than logical speculation and stringing together tidbits of
              information. I'm quite aware it's ultimately nothing more than a theory,
              albeit an interesting one from my perspective at least.

              Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and any other ideas that come to mind.
              Thanks.

              Michael Mozina
              Mt. Shasta, CA
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2003
                [Michael McLafferty]:
                > Turns out it was "Jesus Mysteries" where I saw it [Lupia's essay] again...

                Mike-

                I can't find it on the Jesus Mysteries list. I'm trying to subscribe to the
                Johannine list in order to answer his essay, but it was posted last April,
                and they may not allow such a late response. Lupia also published his
                vitriolic views (though in shorter form) back in April, 2001 on the
                Synoptic-L list. When my attention was drawn to that several months later, I
                signed up for that list and sent a response which can be viewed at:

                Lupia didn't respond. As I said in my earlier note here, Lupia has an axe to
                grind. He's a rabid right-wing Roman Catholic who wants to discredit GThom
                in any way possible so that scholars won't take it seriously, so that in
                turn the canon will be regarded as the only legitimate early Christian
                "voice". He makes a number of translational mistakes, but more importantly,
                he interprets Thomas sayings in a twisted way that says more about him than
                about Thomas - and as I say in the above note, he fails to realize that the
                very same twisted interpretations can be constructed for canonical material.
                I can't really express how angry and frustrated I am that his poisonous
                excrement is still floating around unanswered, but if I ever catch up with
                that SOB, I'd like to have a few words with him. <g>

                Mike Grondin
                Mt. Clemens, MI
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2003
                  [Michael McLafferty]:
                  > I'm sorry to have propagated it on your list. I didn't know you felt so
                  > strongly, and wasn't aware of your unanswered response to him.

                  No problem, Mike. I did in fact hesitate to accept your note at first,
                  because it would direct members to what I felt was a thoroughly disreputable
                  view, but it seemed best to let members read it, since you had referred to
                  it earlier. I'm still interested in whether Lupia has posted to the
                  JesusMysteries list. You said he had, but I can't find it there. Please let
                  me know one way or the other (offlist probably preferrable). As to the
                  John-Lit list, I have been accepted to membership there since my last note,
                  and my first note to that list has been posted. It's titled "Challenge to
                  Lupia", and can be found at:

                  I want to make it clear that this is not just an issue of whether Lupia's
                  "theory" (if you can call it that when one starts out with the intention of
                  discrediting the text by "proving" that it was authored by enemies of
                  Christianity) is correct or not. Of course, it's incorrect AFAIC - and badly
                  so. What makes me mad, however, is that he's dishonest about it. He pretends
                  to be impartial, but he isn't. Worse yet (if that's possible), his method of
                  discrediting the text is to come up with far-fetched and repulsive sexual
                  innuendos that make one cringe to even read them. Reminds me a bit of what
                  the old heresiologists used to do - the "icing on the cake" of an attack on
                  a non-orthodox sect was to claim that its members were guilty of sexual
                  lasciviousness. (This was sometimes true, but more often than not, it was
                  just vicious hyperbole on the part of the heresiologist.)

                  I'll let you know of further developments, if it seems worthy of list
                  attention.

                  Mike G.