RE: [GTh] Nag Hammadi & Oxyrhynchus

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 6:36 PM
      Maurice Cormier asks:

      >>Is there any chance you can provide a reference to Hippolytus' quote, or
      possibly better still, the wording of what you refer to as "a distorted
      version of logion 4 of our Thomas" ....<<

      Hippolytus, _Refutation_, Book V, Chapter 2:

      "But they assert that not only is there in favour of their doctrine,
      testimony to be drawn from the mysteries of the Assyrians, but also from
      those of the Phrygians concerning the happy nature--concealed, and yet at
      the same time disclosed--of things that have been, and are coming into
      existence, and moreover will be,-(a happy nature) which, (the Naassene)
      says, is the kingdom of heaven to be sought for within a man. And concerning
      this (nature) they hand down an explicit passage, occurring in the Gospel
      inscribed according to Thomas, expressing themselves thus: "He who seeks me,
      will find, me in children from seven years old; for there concealed, I shall
      in the fourteenth age be made manifest." This, however, is not (the
      teaching) of Christ, but of Hippocrates, who uses these words: "A child of
      seven years is half of a father." And so it is that these (heretics),
      placing the originative nature of the universe in causative seed, (and)
      having ascertained the (aphorism) of Hippocrates, that a child of seven
      years old is half of a father, say that in fourteen years, according to
      Thomas, he is manifested." (Translation is from _Ante-Nicene Fathers_, Vol
      V, page 50, but available online if you look for it)

      Logion #4 is partly preserved in Greek (P. Oxy. IV 654) but it is closer
      (although not identical) to the Coptic version than the form that Hippolytus
      said the Naasenes used.

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA

      PS: You might want to invest in the 10 volume Ante-Nicene Fathers series, a
      19th century series of translations of early Christian literature from the
      apostolic fathers to the time just before Eusebius. It has long been in the
      public domain (US at least), and consequently reprinted by at least one
      publisher at any one time, usually for around $100-$120 as a set. You can
      also find electronic versions either on CD or as ZIP files available on the
      Internet, but these scans are universally crappy and full of holes and
      uncorrected errors, leave out the footnotes and the fairly comprehensive
      indices.
    • sarban
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4 12:58 PM
        > >>Is there any chance you can provide a reference to Hippolytus' quote, or
        > possibly better still, the wording of what you refer to as "a distorted
        > version of logion 4 of our Thomas" ....<<
        >
        > Hippolytus, _Refutation_, Book V, Chapter 2:
        >
        > "But they assert that not only is there in favour of their doctrine,
        > testimony to be drawn from the mysteries of the Assyrians, but also from
        > those of the Phrygians concerning the happy nature--concealed, and yet at
        > the same time disclosed--of things that have been, and are coming into
        > existence, and moreover will be,-(a happy nature) which, (the Naassene)
        > says, is the kingdom of heaven to be sought for within a man. And
        concerning
        > this (nature) they hand down an explicit passage, occurring in the Gospel
        > inscribed according to Thomas, expressing themselves thus: "He who seeks
        me,
        > will find, me in children from seven years old; for there concealed, I
        shall
        > in the fourteenth age be made manifest." This, however, is not (the
        > teaching) of Christ, but of Hippocrates, who uses these words: "A child of
        > seven years is half of a father." And so it is that these (heretics),
        > placing the originative nature of the universe in causative seed, (and)
        > having ascertained the (aphorism) of Hippocrates, that a child of seven
        > years old is half of a father, say that in fourteen years, according to
        > Thomas, he is manifested." (Translation is from _Ante-Nicene Fathers_, Vol
        > V, page 50, but available online if you look for it)
        >
        > Logion #4 is partly preserved in Greek (P. Oxy. IV 654) but it is closer
        > (although not identical) to the Coptic version than the form that
        Hippolytus
        > said the Naasenes used.

        Can I add that there are other sayings attributed to the Naassenes by
        Hippolytus that resemble logia from Thomas.
        e.g. "You devour the dead and make the living; but if you eat the living,
        what will you do ? which vaguely resembles logion 11 in Thomas.
        The Naassenes are a very interesting group, both in their own right and in
        respect of the early use of Thomas.

        Andrew Criddle