Re: [GTh] hermetica and Thomas

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 28, 2003
      From: "David C. Hindley" <dhindley@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 4:38 PM
      Subject: RE: [GTh] hermetica and Thomas

      > Jim Bauer says:
      >
      > >>I assume that, because you quoted Poimandres, you're discussing
      alchemical
      > Hermeticism, and not the stuff in its more primitive form.<<
      >
      > I always thought that Poimandres is associated with the esoteric Hermetic
      > tradition, not the later alchemical Hermetic tradition.

      Curious about this, I did several searches and, amidst all the BS about
      "magic" found that I was most likely thinking of the "Emerald Table", which
      survived the major purges and wound up adopted by Jabir as "al chimia",
      though the Poimandres was also used in alchemy once it became known as part
      of the entire _Corpus Hermeticum_. The Poimandres has often been (and
      probably wrongly) classified as "Gnostic", though there are also
      resemblances to Philo, or at least such was claimed on one website I
      visited.

      Jim Bauer
      Havre, MT