Re: [GTh] Re: hermetica and Thomas

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28 2:05 PM
      From: "jmgcormier" <cobby@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 28, 2003 3:48 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Re: hermetica and Thomas

      > --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@s...> wrote:
      > > Does anyone have any thoughts about relations
      > > between the gospel of Thomas and the Hermetic
      > > writings ? Logion 28 is similar to a passage in
      > > Poimandres but are there any other important
      > > links ?
      > >
      > > Andrew Criddle

      > Hello Andrew ....
      >
      > I guess you are going to have to define how "important"
      > your links have to be .... are you looking for total
      > congruity, similarities, or what-have-you ???
      >
      > For example in the second verse of the Emerald Tablet
      > we find the following Thomas #22 "word run":
      >
      > "2) that which is below is like that which is on high,
      > and that which is on high is like that which is below;
      > by these things are made the miracles of one thing."

      The Emerald tablet is very interesting but its original
      text and meaning are a bit uncertain. It may originally
      have read "that which is above is from that which is
      below, and that which is below is from that which
      is above" A statement about dynamic process rather
      than similarity of nature

      > Maurice Cormier
      >
      > Post Scriptum: I am curious about the location of your
      > Poimandres "passage" and exactly what it says .... MC

      Poimandres (Hermetica I) ch. 27 or thereabouts
      "And I began to preach to the people of beauty, of piety
      and Gnosis: "O people born of the earth , given over to
      drunkenness and sleep and ignorance of God, end your
      drunkenness and unreasoning sleep"

      Andrew Criddle