Re: [GTh] Coptic Thom's Special Symbol and the Ankh

  • Maurice Cormier
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 22, 2003
      David C. Hindley wrote:
      > that it may be a mark of value AND A CONTRACTION FOR "TPias or rather
      > TPixakov"" ... sorry I dont have Greek fonts on my computer but you should
      > "get the drift".<<
      > The most common transcription scheme in use among academic lists is:
      > A = alpha
      > B = beta
      > G = gamma
      > D = delta
      > E = epsilon (short e)
      > Z = zeta (ds)
      > H = eta (long e)
      > Q = theta (th)
      > I = iota
      > K = kappa
      > L = lambda
      > M = mu
      > N = nu (Greek letter looks live a V)
      > X = xi (ks) (CCAT renders this C)
      > O = omicron (short o)
      > P = pi
      > R = rho
      > S = sigma (Sometimes final sigma is J. In later mss it looks like a C)
      > T = tau
      > U = upsilon
      > F = phi (ph)
      > C = chi (kh) (CCAT renders this X)
      > Y = psi (ps)
      > W = omega (long o)
      > Generally, rough breathing is signified by a small "r" before the letter,
      > iota subscript by small "i" after the letter, and accents are ignored,
      > although sometimes signified by "/" or "\" etc.
      > The CCAT scheme, used in many machine readable ASCII transcriptions of Greek
      > texts, uses X for chi and C for xi. This is why Jack's transcription was
      > different than mine.
      > Using a transcription scheme takes a little getting used to. The shape of
      > the Greek letter may or may not be reflected in the Roman letter used to
      > represent it. Thus the "rho," which looks a lot like a Roman "P," is really
      > transcribed with "R." If transcribed, those words would be "TRias" and
      > "TRicakon" (I think, based on what you wrote, but I cannot find that form of
      > a word in the lexicons). However, it is the only good way to communicate
      > Greek text within the limits of ASCII formatted messages. Even cutting and
      > pasting from some Bible program (Bibleworks, etc) may get you all sorts of
      > results at variance with these simple schemes, as they may try and convey
      > the accents and breathings, etc.
      > Respectfully,
      > Dave Hindley
      > Cleveland, Ohio, USA

      Many thanks ! ... this makes a lot of ssnse. The badly botchedup word,
      by the way is tri-lepton (literally "three leptons" in value). The
      lepton denomination (a single one of them as opposed to one having three
      times the value) was also called a "mite" (litt: "trivial coin") which
      is the coin which the poor woman/widow put into the temple treasury in
      Mark 12:41-42.

      Again, many thanks !