Re: [GTh] Mark 2.23

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2003
      From: "Tom Saunders" <tom@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, July 21, 2003 3:41 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Mark 2.23

      > "plucked ears of corn" material
      > (Mark 2:23).
      >
      > Mark 2-23. And it came to pass, that he was going on the sabbath day
      through the grainfields; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the
      ears.

      > I just thought I would mention that corn could not have been what they
      were plucking as corn could not have arrived in the Jerusalem area until
      after 1400. According to Gavin Menzies, author of, "1421" the great Chinese
      fleet under Admiral Hong Bao probably were the first to gather maize in
      North and South America and take it to other countries, after 1422.

      Prior to the the introduction of maize from the New World, the OE word
      "corn" was attributed to grain. The Hebrew was STAXUS (Genesis 27:28). The
      Aramaic is zareo for "seeds" and "grain" and "ears" in Aramaic (shabala)
      also means "blades" and "spikes." (Mark 2:23, Luke 6:1)

      An accurate translation:
      And it came to pass, that he went through the sown grain fields on the
      sabbath day; and his disciples began, as they went, to pluck the blades.

      Jack