Re: [GTh] Punctuation Coptic and other languages Aramaic and Greek

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2003
      [Mike Pemberton]:
      > I noticed that there is not much in the way of punctuation within
      > these languages. This leads to my next question being: When you
      > translate Coptic, Aramaic, Greek to english, what is used to
      > determine the breaks, as in, commas, periods, colons, semi-colons.

      Mike-

      The earliest texts were written in capitals with no breaks between words.
      (Codex II is like that, although it does have some markings which sometimes
      separate words.) Later on, the style changed and we're often able to look at
      the same text with inter-word spacing. So that helps resolve ambiguities,
      although the famous GODISNOWHERE example wasn't very common anyway, since
      almost all ambiguities could/can be resolved by the meaning of the
      surrounding text.