A commentary

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2003
      Thank you Frank for your post.

      If it is fair to say that four elements to man are implied both by Mary, Paul, and others, then we have the pnuema (spirit), psyche (soul), nous (mind), and soma (body). As an implied( implied possibly by being conspicuously absent) construction, we have the monumental task of explaining each element, its separate function, and its synergetic or interactive function. Otherwise there is no figuring out sayings like 87.

      GT 87. Jesus said, "How miserable is the body that depends on a body, and how miserable is the soul that depends on these two."

      (Miserable is the nous that trys to figure the "real McCoy" how the soma, is connected to the psyche, without a constructed model. You could get all out of pnuema trying to do it.) Honestly, I think that the Apostles could not, or would not do this construction, so they avoided it to an extent, implied the four part construction but never put it together. Plus there is still another element to the four part construction, the Holy Spirit, the fifth element.

      This means salvation or becoming a 'Pnuematophoroi' (Gnostikoi ?), becoming one with the Holy Spirit, is somehow aligning yourself to become 'one,' so to speak. Saying 87 becomes important to understand, as there is much more than just the body and soul. If one achieves 'pnuematophoroi' or 'gnosis' then might not the nous. pnuema, psyche, and soma merged with the Holy Spirit amount to another possible reference to the five trees of paradise mentioned in saying 19?

      I think your assumption that the GMary was written to explain some of Paul's assertions or omissions is very insightful.

      Tom Saunders