Thomas #43

  • Maurice Cormier
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2003
      Hello all ... a bit of a "stumper" to keep everyone's mind occupied for
      the next ... hmmm ... eon, I guess.

      We often hear of contradictions in the Gospel of Thomas (viz: April
      DeConick's well known 12 & 53, 113 & 111a among others). Has anyone read
      Thomas #43 closely ....

      "His disciples said to him, "Who are You, that You should say these
      things to us?" Jesus said to them, "You do not realize who I am from
      what I say to you, but you have become like the Jews, for they (either)
      love the tree and hate its fruit or love the fruit and hate the tree."

      Now, this bothers me a bit .... Jesus hand picked his disciples (no?)
      ... and they were all Jews ... (no?) ... so why is he saying in Thomas
      #43 that his disciples "have become like the Jews" ????? ... does He not
      realize that they ARE IN FACT Jews .... (no?) Hmmmmm !

      I really need a good cross-section of theories and answers on this one
      because I am trying to better understand the Thomasene Jesus' mindset
      which is not an easy task. (... this is why not too many of us
      "doctrinists" live to collect old age security benefits ...)

      Soooo .... Anyone .... help ! .... please ! .... no holds barred .... no
      answer is too far fetched.

      Maurice Cormier