Perrin catchwords and understanding Thomas

  • sarban
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2003
      We have recently been discussing Perrin's book "Thomas and Tatian",
      and the impliocations of its ideas for the date and original language
      of Thomas. If Perin is broadly right it might also have implications
      for the interpretation of Thomas. I give two possible examples.

      1 Perrin is able to link logion 41 with 43 jumping over 42
      (Jesus said "be passers by"), using as catchwords a Syriac pun
      between hand in 41 and love in 43. (The short saying 42 is assigned
      no catchwords).This isn't one of his most convincing links but if
      valid it could support those such as Baarda who regard 42 and 43
      as one saying; taking "be passers by" as going back to a semitic
      form "be Hebrews" and contrasting Hebrews in 42 with Jews in 43.

      2 Some scholars regard Logion 114 as a late addition to Thomas,
      however there are three catchwords connecting it to 113. One of them,
      a pun between spread out in 113 and leave in 114 only works in Syriac.
      This suggests that saying 114 is part of original Thomas.

      Andrew Criddle