Re: [GTh] Dueling Assessments of the DT?

    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 23, 2003
      > You may be absolutely right, but in Matthew the passage begins with
      > an interrogatory parallel to Mark while in Luke it is preceded by other Q
      > material. This suggests that in Luke the original Q context has been
      > preserved while the passage has been merged with Markan material
      > in Matthew. If so the passage probably did not originally begin with
      > an interrogatory.

      I hear what you're saying, Andrew, but the seam at Lk 12:54 makes appear
      that he was conjoining material directed at different audiences. As you
      know, 12:42-53 presents Jesus as giving an extended answer to Peter's
      question at 12:41. But suddenly, at 12:54, Jesus starts addressing "the
      crowd". Not only that, but he calls them 'hypocrites', even though they
      haven't said anything at all. IF, however, Luke had left out an introductory
      question to which 12:54-56 constituted a response, then that question
      (perhaps "Give us a sign"?) could have provided a basis for J's
      "Hypocrites!" remark. Short of that, it's hard to see why J would be
      presented as being angry at "the crowd" - or indeed why he would suddenly
      turn and address himself to them at all.

      Respects,