Re: [GTh] Beyond Belief ...

  • pessy@chez.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 8, 2003
      Michael Grondin writes:
      > I don't know about the entirety of the original version of John,

      Following G.A. Van den Bergh van Eysinga ,
      i see it coming from semi-gnostic circels in the second quarter
      of the second century, and gradually catholised in the second half.

      Klaus Schilling
    • odell mcguire
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 8, 2003
        Dear Mike, list

        I read Beyond Belief a month ago, after it first came out, and don't have
        time right now to revisit. But I have the distinct impression that she
        placed the writing of both gospels in the 90s, GThom being the earlier, in
        the vicinity of Syria, if not explicitly, then easily inferred. She shows
        little or no interest in the the thesis, accepted by most, that both are
        compilations rflecting the incorporation of both earlier sources and later
        additions. Actually the calender time is unimportant to her; only the
        sequence and place of writing.

        Her main point is that author 4G was a salesman for the LOGOS solution to
        the "Who WAS Jesus, anyway?" probem. As a salesman, he had competitors,
        active in the same neighborhood, and part of his pitch was a diminution,
        denigration of THEIR products--so modern readers can best judge who that
        competiton was by who it was that author 4G was most interested in
        diminishing.
        In 4G, to be specific: The Baptist, was a Witness to The Light, nothing
        more; The Magdalen, tho first to enter the tomb, mistook Jesus for the
        gardener; Peter was outrun by the BD (John, no real ? about it here) to the
        tomb; Thomas was out of town, was the absolute LAST of the original Apostles
        to see the risen Jesus, and even then, didn't believe what he saw.
        Obviously, the gnostics, Mary M. and Thomas, are LEAST qualified to answer
        ?s about Jesus' identity and that places their cults, if not their written
        expositions, among author 4G's existing competitors.

        I think her case is convincing. You ought to read it Mike.

        As far as Irenaeus is concerned, I think the most interesting thing about
        him is that, according to Pagels, he wrote out of a conviction that he,
        himself, could trace his apostolic succession directly through Polycarp, his
        1st teacher, to John, the BD and author 4G, who in turn was Polycarp's 1st
        teacher. Again, she has a good case. And in any case, the notion that such
        a writer as Irenaeus could be a mere mouthpiece for the Latin Tertulian is
        about as preposterous as any I've seen voiced on this list. And as you
        know, from my own contributions if not otherwise, thats goin' some.

        Odell McGuire
        Lexington, VA

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 8, 2003
          > > ... as I recall (and while opinions most certainly vary), the
          > > Diatessaron seems to "log in" at appx. 175 C.E. That sounds a little
          > > late for people to be asking (Thomas #53) if "circumcision is
          > > necessary" (remember ... this question was settled by Paul & Barsabbas
          > > in or around 49 C.E.)
          >
          > Barsabbas? Well, at any rate, the range of meanings of the Greek loan-word
          > 'ophelei' used in Th53 doesn't seem to have included 'necessary'.
          Typically,
          > it meant 'advantageous', 'beneficial', 'profitable', etc. - something
          beyond
          > necessity. Even after Paul, a Christian audience might still have been
          > asking, "OK, circumcision isn't necessary, but isn't it (at least)
          > advantageous?" Or: "We know it isn't necessary to be Jewish, but isn't it
          > helpful?" This continuing question might be taken to favor post-Paul
          dating,
          > though I'm myself agnostic on the dating isssue.

          Doesn't the answer to the question about circumcision in Thomas suggest that
          the point isn't just that circumcision is unprofitable to Christians but
          that it was never
          of any value as a physical rite?
          This would be similar to the position of the "Epistle of Barnabas".

          Andrew Criddle
        • pessy@chez.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 8, 2003
            sarban writes:
            > This would be similar to the position of the "Epistle of Barnabas".

            That epistle even predates Christianity.
            Therapeutae or other diaspora Jewish mystery cults may have given up on
            the outer expressions of the law when the Romans oppressed those
            after the temple fall, and even more the messianic wars of Lukuas
            and Artunion,
            and sticked the more to the inner values of the Thorah instead,
            like some later Quietist Christian movements
            e.g. the Beguines (13th century) or Miguel De Molinos (17th century).
            Another important work of those circles is the Didache, or
            Doctrina Apostolorum.
            This has been developed in Edwin Johnson's book "Antiqua Mater".
            The Didache knows some of Matthew's logia,
            but in a varia lectio that represents a more judaist phase.
            For example, the Golden Rule appears still in its passive formulation
            the Talmud ascribed to Hillel (1 cent. BCE).

            Klaus Schilling
          • pessy@chez.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
              jmgcormier writes:
              > Your sense of Perrin overstating his case seems sound to me as
              > well ... as I recall (and while opinions most certainly vary), the
              > Diatessaron seems to "log in" at appx. 175 C.E. That sounds a little
              > late for people to be asking (Thomas #53) if "circumcision is
              > necessary"
              > (remember ... this question was settled by Paul & Barsabbas
              that'd be Barnabas.
              Barsabbas is the guy who drank lethal poison without being harmed.
              > in or around 49 C.E.)

              Following Couchoud "La Premie`re E'dition de St. Paul"
              and Van den Bergh van Eysinga "Marcion als Getuige voor een
              voor-katoliek Christendom" I put Paul's epistles into the
              second century, and posterior to the Marcionite versions
              reported by Tertullian and Epiphanius.
              Justin Martyr does not use the Paulinics where they should be used,
              so this first chief ideologer of fledgling Catholic Christianity
              does either not know about the canonical versions or not consider
              them as authorative, even if (which I doubt severely)
              they were extant before Irenaios and Tertullian wrote against Marcion.
              In any case this shows that in Antonius Pius' times, they were not
              accepted as guidelines throughout early Christianity.
              This has been pointed out by E. Johnson in "Antiqua Mater".
              Severians and Elkasaits also refused Paul as too hellenic.
              Van den Bergh van Eysinga, using H. Raschke's "Werkstatt des
              Markus-Evangelisten", showed also that the Marcionite Gospel
              predates, or at least is more original than the canonical ones.
              Turmel in "The Fourth Gospel" shows that John's contains much of
              Marcionite stuff, thinly overpainted by Catholic redactors.
              Justin Martyr even is ignorant about Evangelia as a literary genre,
              and talks about Memorabilia Apostolorum, which contained much
              of the material of the canonical Gospels.

              Klaus Schilling
            • kirby@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 9, 2003
                On 9 Jun 2003, at 12:27, pessy@... wrote:

                > Justin Martyr does not use the Paulinics where they should be used,
                > so this first chief ideologer of fledgling Catholic Christianity
                > does either not know about the canonical versions or not consider
                > them as authorative, even if (which I doubt severely)
                > they were extant before Irenaios and Tertullian wrote against Marcion.

                Jay Raskin has shown (according to him) that Justin Martyr is the
                mouthpiece of Tertullian as well.

                best,
                Peter Kirby