Sectarian Thomas

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2003
      Odell McGuire writes:

      On p
      74. Pagels attributes the following to Richard Baker, former Bostonian, a
      Zen convert and then Roshi of the Zen Center in San Francisco: "Had I known
      the Gospel of Thomas, I wouldn't have had to [study in a Kyoto monastery
      and] become a Buddhist." Can you imagine , say, a modern Sufi convert saying
      something like that about 4G??

      This does not surprise me at all. Many have observed that the GThom may have an oriental influence and some similarity exits between types of oriental wisdom literature and the GThom. Kambun is one type of literature that is used to influence 'gokui' or higher spiritual influence. Sayings of this type would be like, 'The eye must see all ways, and the ear must hear all directions." These types of sayings can be applied in life the same as the GThom.

      How would you characterize the GThom as sectarian and ascetic? Don't these characterizations have to do with utility, and how the gospel is meant to be used?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK