Re: [GTh] Why Did Heaven and Earth Came Into Being?

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2003
      GTh 12 reads, "The disciples said to Jesus, 'We know that You will depart
      from us. Who is to be our leader?' Jesus said to them, 'Wherever you are,
      you are to go to James the righteous, for whose sake heaven and earth came
      into being.'"

      Compare the Shepherd of Hermas (Vision II, 8:1), "As I was sleeping,
      brethren, a revelation was given to me by a handsome young man who said to
      me, 'That elderly lady, from whom you received the document, who do you
      think she is?' I said, 'The Sibyl.' 'You are mistaken', said he, 'she is
      not.' 'Who then is she?,' I said. 'The Church,' he said. I said to him,
      'Why then is she elderly?' Because,' he said, 'she was created first of
      all: that is why she is elderly; and for her the world was made.'"

      According to GTh 12, the Cosmos came into being for the sake of James the
      Just/Righteous. According to the Hermas passage, the Cosmos came into
      being for the sake of the Church.

      Is this a coincidence, or is there a relationship between the two passages?
      If there is a relationship between the two passages, which one came first?
      (BTW, Hermas probably dates to somewhere between 100 and 150 CE)

      Also, note that, according to the Hermas passage, the Church was created
      before the Cosmos. Does this mean that, in GTHh 12, it is assumed that
      James was created before the Cosmos and, so, was in the Beginning? If so,
      then does not GTh 17b ("Blessed is he who will take his place in the
      beginning; he will know the end and will not experience death.") apply to
      James?

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English Apt. 17
      Maplewood, MN USA 55109