Re: [GTh] Digest Number 640

  • Rick Sumner
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      During Jesus' Last Supper discourses, it is readily apparent where he is
      going. I would suggest that it was to the ancient audience as well.

      Yet, in 14.5, Thomas needs to ask. Why? That the audience already knew the
      answer is indicated in Jesus' neglect to respond directly--his answer moves
      smoothly into Phillip's question, it does not come smoothly from Thomas'.
      Perhaps slow-witted was a little harsh, but at least confused.

      It's interesting you use the phrase "beloved disciple." Is it intended to
      carry the implication I presume it is? I recently read Charleworth's _The
      Beloved Disciple_, and would venture to agree with you--my only caveat being
      that I'm not entirely convinced that the Doubting Thomas pericope isn't an
      interpolation.

      Regards,
      Rick