Re: [GTh] Digest Number 639

  • Mark Primavesi
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
      Rick

      I only lurk on this list, but do know that Elaine Pagels is working on John
      and Thomas. She spoke at Westar's 2002 Spring conference. Westar have a tape
      of her talk for sale. She was arguing that John was written as a polemic
      against Thomas-like teaching. I believe her book on the subject is due out
      in May this year. I found what she said most interesting. It opens up a
      whole new way of reading John.

      Mark Primavesi

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
        [Mark wrote:]

        I only lurk on this list, but do know that Elaine Pagels is working on John
        and Thomas.

        Yep, she is. The title is _Beyond Belief: The Secret Gospel of Thomas_ (New
        York: Random House, 2003). The release date is May 6 and may be ordered from
        (where else) Amazon.com for US $17.47.

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman
      • Wade and April
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 31, 2003
          Hello all,

          A book was published by Sheffield Academic Press in January 2001 arguing
          that John was written as a polemic against the kind of mysticism evidenced
          in the Gospel of Thomas. It is called _Voices of the Mystics: Early
          Christian Discourse in the Gospels of John and Thomas and Other Ancient
          Christian Literature (Journal for the Study of the New Testament. Supplement
          Series, 157)_ by April DeConick, professor of religion at Illinois Wesleyan
          University. It is available on Amazon. This just caught my eye because I'm
          married to the author. (DeConick not Pagels!)

          Wade