In Solomon's Portico

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 6, 2003
      > And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought
      among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
      [Acts 5:12]

      Tom Saunders writes:

      > They were not in accord on the porch. Then or now. Not Thomas' porch
      where the "Jew loves the fruit and hates the tree" or visa versa. On
      Solomon's porch they get circumcised and observe the rules of Solomon. I
      think this verse in Acts reveals Luke's preference for Jewish practices, and
      community. It also shows how diverse the GThom is in regard to these issues.
      > I think Thomas had every reason to write the GThom at this point, so he
      could go his own way like Phillip.

      But Philip isn't described as "going his own way" in the sense you mean. His
      mission to Samaria is associated with a general "scattering" of the
      followers in Jerusalem due to Saul's persecution (see Acts 8:3-5), not any
      disagreement with Peter's leadership. Furthermore, the author of Acts
      (presumably Luke) could hardly have had a "preference for Jewish practices",
      since Paul was clearly his hero, and of course Paul was very much at odds
      with the Jerusalem leadership. The purpose of chapter 5, as I see it, is to
      invoke a supposed "golden age" before the persecutions started. Has nothing
      to do with an authorial preference for circumcision and other Jewish laws,
      though it might have to do with an authorial yearning for "the good old
      days" of commune-type living. Solomon's Portico, BTW, is also mentioned in
      Acts 3:11. It was apparently a real covered gateway area on the east side of
      the Temple. We can't suppose that it was chosen by the disciples for any
      symbolic reason - it may have been the only (or best) free spot available.
      Or it could be that they preferred the east side (for sunrise services?),
      and "Solomon's Portico" just happened to be the name of an area available

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI