Re: [GTh] The background to saying 23

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 5, 2003
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: <BitsyCat1@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 03, 2003 8:57 AM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] The background to saying 23

      > In a message dated 03/03/2003 8:43:52AM, FMMCCOY@... writes:
      >
      > << However, because it is simple in
      > structure, and since it appears that the real Jesus frequently spoke in
      > parables, and since it is multiple attested (for it is also found in the Q
      > and Markan traditions), I think that it probably is genuine.
      > >>

      > John Asks Frank
      >
      > Perhaps dividing it into Strata(Per se) is an error, if I read the other
      > post correctly.?
      >
      > That is perhaps some of the original thought was modified for the
      Ascetics
      > (Or Gnostics) that used Thomas. BUT Its "all original".
      >
      > The Job if that were true would be to unravel what was modified and what
      > was not,
      > Rather than to decide part was earlier or later, or original or non
      original.
      > for the purposes of 'not considering it',(Because it might be difficult
      > reconcile)
      >
      > To determine what the original kernel was, rather than dismiss the
      Saying
      > entirely.
      > That might be a trap?
      >
      > Perhaps then it is a matter of the decision to scrap what is considered
      > Later that
      > should be questionable?
      >
      > What would these sayings (Later) Sound like if you distilled them into
      > their basic form or rearranged them? Might that not also be Yeshuan? But
      the
      > Saying itself merely
      > an ascetic interpretation.( Of that Yeshuan saying)

      Dear John Moon:

      Good to hear from you!

      You are too kind in not mentioning the parable. I meant the parable of the
      mustard seed but I wrote the parable of the sower. A little brain-hand
      disconnect there!

      I agree with you that the GThomas community modified some of the sayings
      attributed to Jesus that they possessed. I also agree with you that we
      ought to try to spot these modifications so as to recover the original forms
      of these sayings as known to the GThomas community.

      Assuming that this is possible for us to accomplish (and this is a big if),
      then we will, at some date in future, know the original forms of these
      sayings as known to the GThomas community.

      You suggest that these original forms of these sayings *as known to the
      GThomas community* might go back to the historical Jesus.

      Certainly, this is possible.

      However, to be thorough about it, we need to analyze each saying attributed
      to Jesus in GTh in terms of all these questions:
      (1) Does it appear to be the invention of the GTh community? If it does,
      then it needs to be rejected as probably false.
      (2) Does it appear to be the invention of some other early Christian
      community? If it does, then it needs to be rejected as probably false.
      (3) Does it appear to be modified by the GTh community? If so, then what
      does it look like with these modifications removed?
      (4) Does it appear to be modified by some other early Christian community?
      If so, then what does it look like with these modifications removed?

      John, do you have any reason for thinking that only the third step is really
      necessary? Do you, for example, think that the forms of these sayings, once
      the Thomas community modifications are removed, are all based on the witness
      of those who heard Jesus and were written down very early?

      Regards,

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English Apt. 17
      Maplewood, MN USA 55109

      On this, you and I have no disagreeement.

      sjohnmoon3717@...
    • BitsyCat1@aol.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 5, 2003
        In a message dated 03/05/2003 12:37:30PM, FMMCCOY@... writes:

        << ohn, do you have any reason for thinking that only the third step is really
        necessary? Do you, for example, think that the forms of these sayings, once
        the Thomas community modifications are removed, are all based on the witness
        of those who heard Jesus and were written down very early?

        John observes

        I have noticed that in general many of the sayings (If distilled down) could
        be
        a primitive Pauline.( Perhaps Pre Pauline wisdom literature)
        Consider saying 114?
        Generally considered an addition as well as late.( I would say almost all
        would agree)

        The Theme of 114 could well be the same essence of That there is neither
        Male nor Female /( No Slave or Freeman) in Christ Jesus. ( say
        Galatians(3::26-29)

        In 114 there are all the elements of the Pauline Admonition. SO That one
        would suspect that if it is an addition it might be some type of metaphorical
        Play, Which puts forth the same elements with the addition of" Living
        Spirit"( As
        perhaps a Gnostic influence)
        You have a Male (Peter) And Female (Mary) You have Jesus And you have male
        and Female becoming the Same.( Last verse Galation becoming One)
        All the elements of Thomas are then present in the Pauline
        Except the addition of becoming a Living Spirit.( Like a male)?

        One might argue that you could distill that (from the Reference to
        Abraham
        to the coming of Christ in Galatians) A continuous living Spirit of some
        sort.( But that is merely an observation in Passing) The Ruack, the living
        spirit of God

        In 114 Jesus addresses a Favorite topic The Kingdom of Heaven? Surely not
        Late
        and yet the Troubling Gnostic influence. That is, in how it is arranged and
        the conclusion we are supposed to reach? Appears to be Gnostic and Late.

        I merely suggest that All the elements are present but in a Pageant or
        play form of some sort.
        There may well be other examples.( And Better examples) But since 114 is
        considered A) both Gnostic and b) Late, I Have used it.

        And yet the clear and Polished Pauline Statements contain essentially the
        same
        thought and yet highly polished. With that Pauline absolute Statement Style.
        That surety and comparison that indeed they will be one in Christ Jesus. And
        with the Addition of Greek, Servant or Free to the male and Female.
        Far more developed in thought and how it should fit into Hebrew history.

        So which might come first?

        The Pauline highly styled and Polished form. Or the (Supposed) Later less
        Polished more or less Jesus Said? Or has the ascetic or Gnostic Group merely
        rearranged an Existing Jesus said to their own liking?
        To lead one to conclude that a living spirit and Male are the same in
        Jesus
        eyes.( And to that group)?

        If 114 were not comparing the aspect of "living spirit resembling you
        Males"
        and suggest that Jesus personally was going to lead her (Mary) to being male
        (see the above
        Would we then suggest that it was later or Gnostic?

        Of course then if we remove the Gnostic comparison we are faced with
        which is first? The Thomasine(Wisdom literature) or the Pauline?
        Or do they come from a common Literature source which we no longer
        have?

        I merely observe that rather than dismiss a Group for apparently falling
        into a strata? That there may be another explanation for that.

        Perhaps it merely comes from a Common source?
        An Original wisdom Literature which both Early Christian authors (Such
        as Paul) drew from. And Perhaps a historical teacher may have uttered (In
        another form).

        If we are to believe some of the early Historians such as Papius.
        That Original source did exist. The Ta Logia. Yet was non existent by his day.

        It would appear that we are merely looking at two differing
        perspectives of the same thought.

        Paul uses his slant to insert his commentary. The Author of the
        Thomasine Verse
        uses it as a vehicle of his "living spirit, and union thereof" as the result
        of the Common thought.

        But in the end. They are both in agreement that the result is a union
        and becoming One.( See GAlations 3-29).

        My question then stands is there not another explanation, Both coming
        from a common earlier source?

        regards John Moon
        Springfield,Tenn

        johnmoon3717@...
      • Tom Saunders
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 6, 2003
          Sorry the History Channel did not show the 'James the Just' presentation. Nobody is more disappointed than me, and I am sorry if you made arrangements to see it, only to be disappointed.

          John Moon suggests that 114 is a late addition and Pauline. Being that 114 is the last saying may be in fact the only late part about the addition of the saying. What I mean is that the parts of other texts that went into composing the GThom came together in an order of availability. It was re-ordered and it stopped at 114.

          Perhaps the addition of 114 is to qualify the thematic place of women and the issues of purity, according to Thomas. These issues are associated with Paul and the Apostolic Council, which decided that Gentiles did not have to adhere to Jewish laws and customs. Crossan points out in "Birth of Christianity" that the issues of the Pauline era where issues Jesus was known to have put down his opinion, in his lifetime.

          Another point that Crossan makes is that the GThom is too early to be Gnostic. It is likely that is was kept in very closed circles, then it was picked up later in Gnostic sects. I think it is likely that Paul never saw or knew about the GThom, and those who had Thomas had it a long time before any of them saw the Pauline letters. One reason is the fact that Jerusalem and the Jewish state, as such, was completely destroyed by 70 C.E.

          Long before that Phillip had been the first Apostle to leave the community, but others followed. Then, Peter left. 'John the Just' took over as head of the village. Although Acts is vague about some of the problems that may have occured in this first community, it could have been worse than any historical information has revealed. The point is there is no window of opportunity to obtain the known written elements of the GThom, except in the earliest of times.

          There is no reason to believe that a later redactor would focus on issues from the earliest of times. Secularists anytime past 70 C.E. posed lots bigger issues, mostly based upon the ideas surrounding virgin birth and ressurection. The 'list' gospel Thomas, like Q does not address these issures. If it did it would be Gnostic. As is, it is only Gnostic from the standpoint that you can use the information contained within the text for salvation and circumvent the collection plate.

          Saying 114 is thematically linked with 21, "male becomes female." Without this 'harmonic' link there would be no other 'doublet' to explain or bring up that particular theme. In terms of harmonics and thematic elements this kind of link seems very well done in the literary sense. This may be another cause for 114, but if it was added to the text as an afterthought, it was likely done by an original author.

          We can divide up the GThom into specific parts, aligned with types of scripture, like parables, beautifications, and parallels with Matthew, Mark, and Luke. We have to look at the notion of window of opportunity, to assemble these parts. This leaves the notion of saying order, other scriptural norms common to early Christian writing, and the primary motives for composing the text. That is a lot to explain.

          Many of you have mathematical notions of the order and composition of the GThom. Do they fit in with the ideal of the first century writer? What other scriptural commonalities does the GThom follow besides those I have mentioned? (Can I get a version with 666 lines? I love that idea.)

          One last thing. The primary motive for the GThom is salvation. I would call that its primary economy ("E" factor). The first heretic was Simon Magus who wanted to sell the Holy Spirit, or in fact wanted to sell salvation. If the primary economy of the GThom is to provide the means to salvation by understanding the words of Jesus, then the primary motive for its conception is related to this first heresey.

          If the "E" factor holds true to the primary motive, the GThom was written in reaction to this first Christian community rift, and the ones that shortly followed. All the parts for the GThom would have existed in the Apostle's village before Saul became Paul, and Christianity had spread. I give the Apostle's village a 5% literacy rate, or higher if there were Essenes converted. If there were Sicarii converted there may have been assassins. Perhaps Thomas was Sicarii or from that sect, which might account for the sword parable.

          Tom Saunders
          Platter Flats, OK

        • BitsyCat1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 6, 2003
            In a message dated 03/06/2003 10:44:09AM, tom@... writes:

            << John Moon suggests that 114 is a late addition and Pauline. Being that
            114 is the last saying may be in fact the only late part about the addition
            of the saying. What I mean is that the parts of other texts that went into
            composing the GThom came together in an order of availability. It was
            re-ordered and it stopped at 114. >>

            John observes

            Actually my point was that although counted as Gnostic and Late.( Possibly
            considered the latest) by consensus in the past.
            It actually shows up in a more polished form in Paul's Galatian Letter.
            ( Or so it would appear) and perhaps other parallels (better than this)
            could be made to other sayings.

            If we go by the Idea that the more Developed theologically and polished
            presentation is Later. Then Paul's adaptation and presentation is the
            Later Verse.It is Crisp and Comprehensive and connected to Israel's history.
            Whereas the same thought in 114 is a back and forth between individuals?
            More primitive.

            The point might be that there is no Guarantee that Saying 114 is either
            late
            or Gnostic If the same thought occurs in the earliest of Christian Writings?

            Therefore the difficulty in assigning dates and Strata based on Certain
            streams of thought? IS it Late is it Gnostic? IS it an early strata or a Late
            strata?

            I believe we may come back to what is the definition of Gnostic.AND did
            it pre exist the Yeshuan ministry?( Thomas as well as Paul) A common Wisdom
            Literature that may be proto Gnostic?
            If this Wisdom literature was in evidence during the time of Yeshau bar Yosef.
            , then it might change the way we order the strata. And how we classify them.

            Regards,

            John Moon
            Springfield, Tenn37172
          • Tom Saunders
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 6, 2003
              John Moon states:

              I believe we may come back to what is the definition of Gnostic.AND did
              it pre exist the Yeshuan ministry?( Thomas as well as Paul) A common Wisdom
              Literature that may be proto Gnostic?

              Based on Crossan's idea that Q is apochalyptic and the GThom is ascetic, don't you think this means that Thomas was written as possibly the first sectarian text? I have no problem with Thomas being 'the' proto- Gnostic element that started the various movements.

              I think Marcion, Valentinus, and Tatian all had Thomas and understood the fact that it was the result of heretical acts in the first few years of the Apostle's village. This is where the stakes on salvation became the highest. Consider this from Acts: 5-

              9. But Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to try the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them that have buried thy husband are at the door, and they shall carry thee out.
              10. And she fell down immediately at his feet, and gave up the ghost: and the young men came in and found her dead, and they carried her out and buried her by her husband.
              11. And great fear came upon the whole church, and upon all that heard these things.

              Between the first heresey with Simon Magus, and the fear caused by 'spirit killings' associated with Peter I see the straw that broke the camel's back on trying to pull the community together. Too many people would have drifted away from Peter, and I think Thomas is likely one of them. This may well stand as the motivation to point out James the Just as the one to follow. Here is another clue.....Acts 5-12.

              12. And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.

              They were not in accord on the porch. Then or now. Not Thomas' porch where the "Jew loves the fruit and hates the tree" or visa versa. On Solomon's porch they get circumcised and observe the rules of Solomon. I think this verse in Acts reveals Luke's preference for Jewish practices, and community. It also shows how diverse the GThom is in regard to these issues.

              I think Thomas had every reason to write the GThom at this point, so he could go his own way like Phillip.

              Tom Saunders
              Platter Flats, OK