Pre-existence in DSS & Thomas

  • swallison <dermarc@chartertn.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2003
      Since there has not been much activity lately I thought I'd throw out
      something for discussion. I came across some passages in the Dead Sea
      Scrolls (DSS) that involve the topic of pre-existence and may relate to
      passages like in GThomas 19 and maybe 50. From Peter's web site
      regarding 19, ""Helmut Koester writes: "For the Gnostic understanding
      it is crucial to know that one's own origin lies before the beginning
      of earthly existence. John [8:58] consciously avoids this application
      of divine origin to all believers and restricts it to Jesus as the
      revealer." (Ancient Christian Gospels, p. 118)""

      Comments?

      From Thanksgiving Hymns

      Hymn 3

      All these things [Thou didst establish in Thy wisdom,
      Thou didst appoint] all Thy works
      before ever creating them:
      and host of Thy spirits
      and the Congregation [of Thy Holy Ones,
      the heavens and all] their hosts
      and the earth and all it brings forth.
      In the seas and deeps....
      ....and an everlasting task;
      for Thou hast established them from before eternity,

      Hymn 6

      By thy wisdom [all things exist from] eternity,
      and before creating them Thou knewest their works
      for ever and ever,
      [Nothing] is done [without Thee]
      and nothing is known unless Thou desire it,

      Thou hast created all the spirits
      [and hast established a statute] and law
      for all their works.

      Thou hast spread the heavens for Thy glory
      and hast [appointed] all [their hosts]
      according to Thy will;

      the might winds according to their laws
      before they became angels [of holiness]
      ... and eternal spirits in their dominions;

      the heavenly lights to their mysteries,
      the stars to their paths,

      From The Complete Dead Sea Scrolls in English - Geza Vermes

      Steve Allison