[gthomas] The sound spirituality of Thomas

  • Mats Winther
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 1999
      I am continuing here from another thread in order to make my point clear about (what I see as) the anti-Gnostic character of the text.

      Although Thomas evades the collective social factor he represents a very sound personal spirituality. I think that the rather extraverted Western culture which was moulded by Christianity combined with ancient Greek philosophy, would have needed the vital injection by the introverted viewpoint of Thomas. When extraverted medieval Christianity tried a more world-denying and serious approach it came to express itself in the form of Imitatio Christi. This is a kind of misguided introversion. It hinges upon the idea of renouncing the receptable of lust and evil i.e. the body. But this is like following the approach of the ostrich and burying the head in the sand. It is a primitive way of invoking the spirit which has been used in many cultures, and for instance, among dualist Gnostic communities. Although it works to some extent it is damaging to the body and largely ineffective. Contrary to this, the psychological understanding of Thomas encourages the reader of the Gospel to confront the inner nature and expose what is hidden inside. The receptacle of evil and lust is the the unconscious and the body. Nevertheless it should not be renounced since it is also the receptable of Heaven's kingdom. It must be confronted and investigated. If merely logion 3 would originally have been inserted into any of the canonical Gospels, the world would have followed a better path.

      Mats Winther