Re: [GTh] Intentional Manuscribal Features

  • BitsyCat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2002
      In a message dated 12/03/2002 13:43:12PM, mwgrondin@... writes:

      << But with respect to the plausibility of the
      theory, if it weren't for the fact that we have no known exemplar of a
      "puzzle-text" of this magnitude, it seems to me that there wouldn't be any
      question at all about its being taken seriously.

      John Asks>

      You refer to other puzzle texts? What is the Largest and smallest puzzle
      text known?
      And is there any Pattern between the known texts and Thomas.

      John Moon
      Springfield, Tenn.

      regards johnmoon3717@...

      Sorry, John, but when I wrote the phrase 'of this magnitude', I was thinking of the Christian acrostics I had mentioned earlier. I believe these were generally poetic works, in which the series of first letters of each stanza spelled out a short pious message, and/or the writer's name. I don't see anything like that in Thomas as it stands now. It would be nice to have some precedent, but I haven't been able to find one yet. When I talked with David Trobisch at the SBL meeting, he mentioned some kind of "columnization" of Pauline material (as I recall - it was a hurried conversation covering several different subjects). He said he would send me further info, but I haven't heard from him yet. I also have a vague recollection of someone "decoding" an obscure ancient mystery text some years ago, but I haven't been able to track that down. Any help that you or anyone else would be able to provide would be greatly appreciated.