New Working Documents Now Available

  • Grondin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2002
      I have uploaded to my site three working documents that may be of interest
      to members. They aren't linked to my main page (yet), but can be accessed
      with the following URL's:

      1. http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/gtbypage.pdf
      2. http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/lmap.pdf
      3. http://www.geocities.com/mwgrondin/smap.pdf

      The first is a new format for my page-by-page presentation. By reducing
      font-size and eliminating the corrections line above the Coptic, it's now
      possible to print the interlinear on a truly page-by-page basis. That whole
      file, then, is 20 pages, as is GThom. I have added the number of characters
      on each line to the right of that line (since that is turning out to be of
      some importance), with splits indicated by n+m notation. Also, I've included
      the end of the Apocryphon of John, as it occurs on the first page of Thomas.
      The 3-4 major lacunae are still up for grabs, so any fill-ins I've done
      there should be taken with a grain of salt. The spacing of words is not yet
      near as nice as I would like it to be - and as I intend it to be later on -
      but it seems best to give out what I have now, rather than to wait for
      refinement - which could be a considerable delay.

      Lmap is a one-page spreadsheet mapping of line-numbers (1-668) against the
      page-structure of Thomas (pages 32-51 of Codex II). Smap is a similar map,
      but of sayings-numbers instead of line-numbers (asterisks indicate where the
      end of one saying occurs on the same line as the beginning of the next).
      Blocks are underlined on both maps, and segments are marked out. Anyone
      who's interested in the ideas I've been expressing lately, may want to take
      a look at these maps to see what it is that I think is evident there. It's
      rather like looking down on the world - a world at this point part-chaotic
      and part-well-formed. From the "beginning of the world", the text tells us
      to gird our loins with great strength - and the number 100 is clearly a
      number of great strength in solving the puzzle - as is the number 50 (which
      is about the number of letters in two average lines).