Re: [GTh] "Perfection" amidst the Chaos

  • Grondin
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
      > This is pretty nifty. I think you've made an important discovery here.

      Thanks for your response and encouragement, Frank. I have no intuition about
      whether the strata and sub-sequences that you mention will work out. I'm
      pretty sure that small sayings or portions of sayings will be moved around
      to make the initial structure "perfect", but what impact this will have on
      your sequences in the final analysis, I have no idea.

      I did want to correct my remarks on "perfect numbers". I said that the third
      perfect number was quite large, and that was my recollection, but my
      recollection turns out to be faulty. As I now understand it, the first five
      perfect numbers are 6, 28, 496, 8128, and 130816. I don't see the Thomas
      puzzle making use of any of these numbers other than 6 and 28. With respect
      to 28, although 280 is a multiple of it, it's also 4x70, and the number 70
      may be the controlling factor there. On the other hand, the total number of
      characters in the text (16800, not counting saying 71) = 28x600, which is a
      nice combination of 6 and 28, and also the size of the cosmos (earth plus
      two heavens?) that Jesus is said to be "watching over" at line 68. I have a
      feeling that the number of characters per line (which varies from 18 to 31,
      averaging about 25.25) will be "smoothed out" to an invariable number, but
      it's still way too early even to guess whether such a hypothetical standard
      line-size might be 28 letters (in which case the extra 68 lines would
      entirely disappear), or something smaller, like 24 or 25. Time will tell.

      The situation at this point is that there are a significant number of
      astonishing "coincidences", but we still lack the "smoking gun" that would
      convince the impartial observer that these "coincidences" are plausible
      evidence of authorial intentionality. The fact, for example, that a word
      (PARAGE) which occurs only three times in a text of this size, should occur
      twice at precisely the same location on two different lines, and that those
      lines should be the 70th and 280th lines of the text, is to my mind
      extremely statistically unlikely. And how likely is it that there would be
      an accidental "seam" at line 68, wherein Jesus is said to be watching over
      the world, just above an even 600 lines of remaining text? Or that the
      shortest saying of the collection should just happen to occupy a single
      line - as opposed to the much more probable case of its being split between
      two lines? And that that single line should just happen to have a nice
      line-number of 280, rather than any of hundreds of others where we'd have to
      do contortions to find some meaning to the number? One can cite a whole
      litany of such unlikely coincidences, and yet, without the "smoking gun",
      most impartial observers will be unable to accept that these are intentional
      features of the text. So the smoking gun is what I'm looking for right now.

    • fmmccoy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 23, 2005