The Heavens

  • Grondin
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2002
      The text of Coptic GThom represents the geographic structure of the cosmos,
      as the Barbeloites believed it to be. It's a puzzle already partially
      completed for the reader, if he or she can spot the structure under the
      chaotic elements. At the top of page 46 is the famous "divider" saying,
      which was the one that tipped me off some 14 years ago to this astonishing
      theory about the nature of the Coptic Thomas, when I simply could not
      imagine any reason for the author to have Jesus turn to his disciples to
      confirm what he had just said, namely that he was not a divider. In fact,
      though Jesus himself may not have been thought to be a divider, this saying
      is - for it basically divides the "earth" from the "heavens". It begins on
      line 471, and it's the beginning of the 13th of 24 blocks, which means that
      the text is basically divided into two groups of 12 blocks each, the first,
      much larger one, occupying 470 lines, the second occupying 198 lines. But
      the second part of the text is further divided into two parts - the first
      occupying 101 lines down to the bottom of page 48, the second (after a gap
      of two blank pages) occupying 97 lines from 572 to 668. The last line on
      page 48, however, is the first line of a block that continues (after the two
      blank pages) onto the top of page 49. If that line is moved to the top of
      page 49, then we have two "heavens" - one of 100 lines (471-570) and the
      second of 98 lines (571-668). Why do I call these "heavens". Because line
      668 says that they are. This last line contains a single word that's
      separable from saying 114 - a Coptic word meaning "of the heavens". That
      word is separable from 114, because the immediately preceding text makes
      sense without it: "Any female who makes herself male will enter the
      kingdom." Oh - and by the way - that word is 6 letters - a "perfect" word.

      So the geographic map of the cosmos is inverted in GThom - the heavens are
      at the bottom, and the earth is toward the top. The "heaven" closest the
      earth is composed of 2 blocks of 100 lines total. The heaven furthest from
      the earth is composed of 10 blocks of 98 lines total. The evident first step
      for the puzzle-solver ("where the beginning is, there the end will be") is
      to make the highest heaven the same size as the intermediate heaven (in
      conformity with the instructions in saying 22 about how to enter the
      kingdom - i.e, make the upper like the lower, etc). In order to do that, one
      would have to move two complete lines and part of a third (to fill in the
      line containing the single word "of the heavens") from the first part of the
      puzzle (lines 1-470) to the end of page 51. Even stronger, however, the
      syntax and/or semantics of the additional lines should have something to do
      with a "female" making herself "male" (and hence eligible for entry into the
      "kingdom of the heavens" that occupies this portion of the text).
      Surprisingly, the Apocryphon of John tells us how to do that. And that's all
      I'll say for now, since I'm getting no feedback, and I'm not sure anyone is
      paying any attention.