Re: [GTh] outrageous book prices

  • Stephen C. Carlson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2002
      At 07:57 PM 10/21/02 -0000, Randall Helzerman wrote:
      >The standard counter-argument is that, well, the free market
      >sets the prices, and people are only willing to pay $20 for
      >"The Formation of Q" so that's the selling price. But this
      >is really not valid-- consider the parable of the popcorn--buying
      >popcorn in a grocery store vs. buying popcorn in the theater.
      >We all expect to pay substantially more in the
      >theater--because the theaters have set the expectation.

      That's not the reason why theaters can sell popcorn at much
      higher prices (locational monopoly is a better reason -- try
      bringing in you own popcorn and see what happens). I suspect
      that the reason Brill charges so much for its books is that
      they mainly sell to university libraries who can afford such
      prices. Brill's quality is so high that no collections manager
      will get in trouble for buying from them. Nevertheless, many
      individuals are priced out of the library market, and I commend
      Brill and SBL for joining together to find a way to provide these
      books at a price we can afford. After all, the typical salary
      of a humanities professor is such that the books budget is tight.

      Stephen Carlson

      --
      Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@...