Re: [GTh] Digest Number 555

  • Andrew Bernhard
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2002
      > Given the "outrageous" price attached to Perrin's book, one might consider
      > carefully the return on investment before plunking down real money (e.g.,
      > unless one reads Syriac, it might be difficult to understand Perrin's
      > analysis AT ALL).

      The book is available in paperback for $29.95 at the SBL site:
      www.sbl-site.org I assume Rick's reference to outrageous prices is directed
      at some hardback version of the book actually from Brill (and probably cost
      $100 or so). In any case, I think $29.95 is reasonable enough.

      I must say, without having even seen the book, that I'm skeptical of this
      hypothesis, but I look forward to reading it. It could be good from a
      textual point of view if the gospel of Thomas was written at the end of the
      second century - maybe P.Oxy. 1 is the autograph! :)

      Andrew
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2002
        [About Perrin's book, Andrew wrote]:

        The book is available in paperback for $29.95 at the SBL site:
        www.sbl-site.org I assume Rick's reference to outrageous prices is directed
        at some hardback version of the book actually from Brill (and probably cost
        $100 or so). In any case, I think $29.95 is reasonable enough.

        When I first looked at the book it was at:
        http://www.brill.nl/showNewsAll.asp

        I mistakenly believed that the $70.00 price indicated there WAS the SBL
        price since it is listed there as part of the "SBL - Academia Biblica"
        series (#5). Andrew is correct- $29.95 is much more palatable and reasonable
        (even though the book is only 216 pages in length).

        I must say, without having even seen the book, that I'm skeptical of this
        hypothesis, but I look forward to reading it. It could be good from a
        textual point of view if the gospel of Thomas was written at the end of the
        second century - maybe P.Oxy. 1 is the autograph! :)

        Yikes!!

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2002
          Just as an aside, when you go to Brill's site at:
          http://www.brill.nl/showNewsAll.asp

          Check out their financial statement "Half Year Results 2002"

          RH