[GTh] Would ClemAlex hide gThom and/or secMk

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2002
      In yesterdays message I said

      [yesterday]
      -- The general impression though is that he does not want his reader to be
      in the dark about where he gets things, which is why I think it reasonable to
      believe he does not know gThom although Alexandria is between Syria and
      Oxyrhynchus, and knowing that he would find gThom interesting and worthy of
      note.

      This is also roughly why I doubt his actual involvement in Secret Mark; I
      wouldn't put it past him, sounds like it's right up his alley, but I think it
      would be mentioned here, unless he found it later of course.

      but he is blatantly in possession of other works with a lot of the gThom
      material right before our evidence of the existence of gThom begins. That's
      why I think he wrote it. --

      [todays thoughts]
      Given these considerations (that Clement stands in between the place of
      supposed writing of gThom and the place where the earliest extent manuscripts
      were copied and used shortly after his time, and that Clement stands between
      the time of the supposed writing and the earliest extent manuscripts) and the
      implication of the purported Secret Mark that Clement of Alexandria hid the
      knowledge of its existence, which would account for its not being mentioned
      in the Stromatas if it existed then (and there is some warrant in the
      Stromatas texts that might imply he would, though of course this is no
      evidence of Secret Mark's actual existence) maybe it is a viable hypothesis
      that the allusions he mentions to our gThom implies that he is hiding his
      knowledge of what he thinks is a valid secret book, and only hints at it, as
      he says blatantly that he is hiding something. There seems to be no
      indication that he is hiding anything like Secret Mark, but the thought that
      he may be hiding gThom is much more appealing.

      It remains to be pondered that this is a book he would rather hide because of
      what he thinks are its true mysteries, instead of a book he would rather
      expose as spurious (in which case he most probably did not know of it).

      I will still ponder the hypothesis that he wrote it (or that the diffusion of
      gThom through Alexandria either was contemporaneous with him and he did not
      notice it, or later, or that it's composition was contemporaneious or later)
      until I am convinced one way or the other.

      Bill Foley
      Woburn