The Kingdom sayings

  • James Lambert
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2002
      (109) Jesus said, "The kingdom is like a man who had a hidden treasure
      in his field without knowing it. And after he died, he left it to his
      son. The son did not know (about the treasure). He inherited the field
      and sold it. And the one who bought it went plowing and found the
      treasure. He began to lend money at interest to whomever he wished."

      Here we have a saying which speaks about a hidden treasure. These seems
      to be identical to a theme encountered in the KoF sayings. But is it? In
      the KoF sayings a variety of things were hidden: the spread of the KoF
      itself, the flour flowing out unseen, leaven in the dough, the pearl
      which the man takes for himself alone, and the bad seed among the good.
      Now, in our first Kingdom saying, we have a treasure in a field, but no
      one knows it. It isn't a secret, it just isn't known about, and when it
      is discovered it isn't kept secret, but it is lent to others so that its
      value increases through the collection of interest. This is a major
      switch from the oppresive furtiveness of the KoF. The Kingdom possesses
      an air of openness.

      (107) Jesus said, "The kingdom is like a shepherd who had a hundred
      sheep. One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the ninety-nine
      sheep and looked for that one until he found it. When he had gone to
      such trouble, he said to the sheep, 'I care for you more than the
      ninety-nine.'"

      In the Kingdom, one is loved, one is special.

      (82) Jesus said, "He who is near me is near the fire, and he who is far
      from me is far from the kingdom."

      In the Kingdom, one is close to the source of the light.

      (49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find
      the kingdom. For you are from it, and to it you will return."

      Again, one is special. Notice that no such theme of a special chosen one
      exists the the KoF.

      (46) Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John the
      Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that his eyes
      should not be lowered (before him). Yet I have said, whichever one of
      you comes to be a child will be acquainted with the kingdom and will
      become superior to John."

      Become a child and you will know the Kingdom.

      (27) <Jesus said,> "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will
      not find the kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath,
      you will not see the father."

      This saying seems to suggesting that finding the Kingdom is associated
      with seeing the Father. And it tells us to keep the Sabbath and to fast
      from the world. This seems to go against the grain of the innocent
      childlike theme of the Kingdom. Notice however that this is the only
      Kingdom saying which is not introduced with a 'Jesus said'. The
      interpreter saw fit to add one himself, assuming that it was missing due
      to scribal error.

      But perhaps it was intentionally left from the text in order to indicate
      that is is not to be considered as part of the equation. Especially
      given the saying which directly preceeds it and considering that the
      concept of keeping the sabbath is found only in this saying.

      (26) Jesus said, "You see the mote in your brother's eye, but you do not
      see the beam in your own eye. When you cast the beam out of your own
      eye, then you will see clearly to cast the mote from your brother's
      eye."

      I suggest that the location of 26 and the lack of a 'Jesus said,' tag
      identifies 27 as an extraneous statement and one which should not be
      taken into consideration.

      (22) Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These
      infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
      They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"
      Jesus said to them, "When you make the two one, and when you make
      the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the
      above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and
      the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female; and when
      you fashion eyes in the place of an eye, and a hand in place of a hand,
      and a foot in place of a foot, and a likeness in place of a likeness;
      then will you enter the kingdom."

      Children, once again.

      (3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is
      in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to
      you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the
      kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to
      know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that
      it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not
      know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that
      poverty."

      Here we have the Kingdom associated with what is both inside and
      outside. These terms also occur in 22 above. This saying indicates that
      knowledge of oneself leads to the knowledge that one is a child of the
      living father. And once again the concept of the favored child comes up
      in connection with the Kingdom, a concept that never occurs with the KoF
      sayings, which are focused on conflict and that wich is hidden and/or
      unseen.

      I have demonstrated that there existly clearly identifiable thematic
      difference among the Kingdom, Kingdom of the Father, and Kingdom of
      Heaven sayings.

      Kingdom sayings are focused on childhood and the individual child's
      importance. Kingdom of the Father sayings focus on conflict and the
      secrecy and possessiveness that conflict breeds. The Kingdom of Heaven
      are concerned with woman becoming man, circumcision, and phallic objects
      in general. I suggest that the KoH is associated with the Great Mother
      cult, the KoF with the patriarchal forces inherent in Judaism, while the
      Kingdom is for the children. Which gives us the Father with the KoF, the
      son with the Kingdom, and the Holy Spirit with the KoH.

      --
      James Lambert
      http://web.telecom.cz/Gnostradamus
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
        James-

        Several questions arise about the manner in which you have tried to classify
        certain blocks of material in Thomas. In particular, what are the criteria
        by which you identify the so called "Kingdom Sayings"? Is it that you have
        located every occurrence of "kingdom" [MNTERO] in the text and concluded
        that the adjacent material is therefore part of the genus "Kingdom Saying"?

        If that is the case, then do I understand correctly that you have further
        categorized these sayings by examining whether they contain the
        constructions "kingdom of heaven" or "kingdom of the father" as markers of
        whether they should be called KoH or KoF?

        Thanks for the clarification.

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman
      • James Lambert
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2002
          Rick Hubbard wrote:

          > Several questions arise about the manner in which you have tried to classify
          > certain blocks of material in Thomas. In particular, what are the criteria
          > by which you identify the so called "Kingdom Sayings"? Is it that you have
          > located every occurrence of "kingdom" [MNTERO] in the text and concluded
          > that the adjacent material is therefore part of the genus "Kingdom Saying"?

          Hello Rick,

          No. Unfortunately, it was not as simple as that.

          > If that is the case, then do I understand correctly that you have further
          > categorized these sayings by examining whether they contain the
          > constructions "kingdom of heaven" or "kingdom of the father" as markers of
          > whether they should be called KoH or KoF?

          I shall explain my method. First, I began with the KoH sayings. Again
          there is the contention concerning the 54-53 couplet, but the three KoH
          sayings are clearly 114, 54, and 20. Secondly, I identified the KoF
          sayings: 113, 99, 98, 97, 96, 76, and 57. It was only then that I
          initiated a search for the relevant Kingdom sayings.

          Had I simply searched for the word "kingdom" [MNTERO] as you suggest I
          would have come up with twenty sayings containing the word. After
          excluding those which contain the constructions "kingdom of heaven" and
          "kingdom of the father" I would have still been left with ten "Kingdom"
          sayings. However, as you are no doubt aware, I only consider eight of
          those ten to be "Kingdom" sayings. This is due to the fact that the same
          word does not always have the same meaning. Consider the two sayings
          below. In each, the word translated as "domain" is [MNTERO]. The context
          of the sayings identifies the proper meaning of the term.

          (103) Jesus said, "Fortunate is the man who knows where the brigands
          will enter, so that he may get up, muster his domain, and arm himself
          before they invade."

          (21B) Therefore I say, if the owner of a house knows that the thief is
          coming, he will begin his vigil before he comes and will not let him dig
          through into his house of his domain to carry away his goods. You, then,
          be on your guard against the world. Arm yourselves with great strength
          lest the robbers find a way to come to you, for the difficulty which you
          expect will (surely) materialize. Let there be among you a man of
          understanding.

          Compare the above sayings to the operative phrases culled from the three
          of groups of Kingdom sayings:

          (109) Jesus said, "The kingdom is like ...

          (107) Jesus said, "The kingdom is like ...

          (82) Jesus said, "... he who is far from me is far from the kingdom."

          (49) Jesus said, "Blessed are the solitary and elect, for you will find
          the kingdom. ..."

          (46) Jesus said, "... whichever one of you comes to be a child will be
          acquainted with the kingdom ..."

          (27) <Jesus said,> "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will
          not find the kingdom. ..."

          (22) Jesus saw infants being suckled. He said to his disciples, "These
          infants being suckled are like those who enter the kingdom."
          They said to him, "Shall we then, as children, enter the kingdom?"

          (3) Jesus said, "... the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of
          you. ..."

          Which is to say:

          X is like Y
          [distance] from X
          [who] will (not) find X
          [who] will enter X
          [who] will be acquainted with X
          X is inside and outside

          (113) "... the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth ..."

          (97) Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like ..."

          (98) Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like ..."

          (99) "... they who will enter the kingdom of my father."

          (76) Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like ..."

          (57) Jesus said, "The kingdom of the father is like ..."

          In other words:

          X-Father is like Y
          X-Father is [location]
          [who] will enter X-Father

          (114) "... every woman who will make herself male will enter the kingdom
          of heaven."

          (54) "... yours is the kingdom of heaven."

          (20) "...(the kingdom of heaven) is like ... "

          Or:

          X-Heaven is like Y
          [whose] is X-Heaven
          [who] will enter X-Heaven

          In each case, X is being compared to something, or its location is
          given, or the requirements of entry are given, while the term translated
          as "domain" in the two sayings below is used in an entirely different
          manner.

          (103) Jesus said, "Fortunate is the man who knows where the brigands
          will enter, so that he may get up, muster his domain, and arm himself
          before they invade."

          (21B) Therefore I say, if the owner of a house knows that the thief is
          coming, he will begin his vigil before he comes and will not let him dig
          through into his house of his domain to carry away his goods. You, then,
          be on your guard against the world. Arm yourselves with great strength
          lest the robbers find a way to come to you, for the difficulty which you
          expect will (surely) materialize. Let there be among you a man of
          understanding.

          The focus is not on the kingdom but on the man whose domain is under
          threat. These can hardly be considered among the Kingdom sayings.

          Notice, however, that this flexibility based on context cuts both ways.
          If we exclude certain sayings because they do not follow the proper
          pattern as set by the other sayings highlighting the word "kingdom"
          [MNTERO], we must also be ready to include any sayings which follow that
          same pattern while employing different, though synonymous, terms. Which
          means that we need to look through the sayings again. This time, we will
          be searching for all the sayings which contain Heaven or Father to see
          if we can find any equivalent sayings. Specifically, what we are looking
          for is a saying which conforms to the patterns outlined above, but which
          uses different, though equivalent, terminology.

          (64) Jesus said, "A man had received visitors. And when he had prepared
          the dinner, he sent his servant to invite the guests.
          He went to the first one and said to him, 'My master invites you.'
          He said, 'I have claims against some merchants. They are coming to me
          this evening. I must go and give them my orders. I ask to be excused
          from the dinner.'
          He went to another and said to him, 'My master has invited you.' He
          said to him, 'I have just bought a house and am required for the day. I
          shall not have any spare time.'
          He went to another and said to him, 'My master invites you.' He
          said to him, 'My friend is going to get married, and I am to prepare the
          banquet. I shall not be able to come. I ask to be excused from the
          dinner.'
          He went to another and said to him, 'My master invites you.' He
          said to him, 'I have just bought a farm, and I am on my way to collect
          the rent. I shall not be able to come. I ask to be excused.'
          The servant returned and said to his master, 'Those whom you
          invited to the dinner have asked to be excused.' The master said to his
          servant, 'Go outside to the streets and bring back those whom you happen
          to meet, so that they may dine.' Businessmen and merchants will not
          enter the places of my father."

          Notice the last sentence:

          "... Businessmen and merchants will not enter the places of my father."

          [who] will (not) enter X-Father

          Here we have a clear fit. That being the case, I would also argue that
          it be considered among the KoF sayings.

          The word translated as PLACES also occurs in the following sayings:

          (68) Jesus said, "Blessed are you when you are hated and persecuted.
          Wherever you have been persecuted they will find no PLACE."

          (60) <They saw> a Samaritan carrying a lamb on his way to Judea. He said
          to his disciples, "That man is round about the lamb."
          They said to him, "So that he may kill it and eat it."
          He said to them, "While it is alive, he will not eat it, but only
          when he has killed it and it has become a corpse."
          They said to him, "He cannot do so otherwise."
          He said to them, "You too, look for a PLACE for yourself within
          repose, lest you become a corpse and be eaten."

          (24) His disciples said to him, "Show us the PLACE where you are, since
          it is necessary for us to seek it."
          He said to them, "Whoever has ears, let him hear. There is light
          within a man of light, and he lights up the whole world. If he does not
          shine, he is darkness."

          (4) Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small
          child seven days old about the PLACE of life, and he will live. For many
          who are first will become last, and they will become one and the same."

          It can be argued that since I have allowed the word translated as PLACE
          to serve as KINGDOM, that these four sayings should therefore be
          included among the Heaven sayings. Below I have rewritten the sayings to
          reflect such a reading. I have also included the number of those
          "Kingdom" sayings with which they share features and/or themes.

          (68) Jesus said, "Blessed are you when you are hated and persecuted.
          Those who have persecuted you will not find the KINGDOM."
          Kingdom sayings match: (27)

          (60) <They saw> a Samaritan carrying a lamb on his way to Judea. He said
          to his disciples, "That man is round about the lamb."
          They said to him, "So that he may kill it and eat it."
          He said to them, "While it is alive, he will not eat it, but only
          when he has killed it and it has become a corpse."
          They said to him, "He cannot do so otherwise."
          He said to them, "You too, look for a KINGDOM for yourself wherein
          you may rest, lest you become a corpse and be eaten."
          Kingdom sayings match: (107)

          (24) His disciples said to him, "Show us the KINGDOM where you are,
          since it is necessary for us to seek it."
          He said to them, "Whoever has ears, let him hear. There is light
          within a man of light, and he lights up the whole world. If he does not
          shine, he is darkness."
          Kingdom sayings match: (82)

          (4) Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small
          child seven days old about the KINGDOM of life, and he will live. For
          many who are first will become last, and they will become one and the
          same."
          Kingdom sayings match: (46) and (22)

          The existence of these links does lend support for the inclusion of
          these sayings among the Kingdom sayings.

          To summarize, my technique was to first identify KoH sayings, then KoF,
          and finally the "Kingdom" sayings. I did not rely solely on the
          existence of the word within the saying but also the context and
          structure. This attention to context and structure has led to the
          recognition of several additional sayings. The new sayings also tend to
          reinforce the impression that the KoF focuses on conflict and exclusion,
          while the "Kingdom" sayings highlight children, light, and the fact that
          the "Kingdom" is a place free from hated and persecution.