[GTh] pOxy 654

  • DaGoi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
      Does anyone know where I can get a good photo of pOxy 654?

      Hennecke-Schneemelcher-Wilson says (New Testament Apocrypha vol. 1 p. 98-99,
      1963 Philadelphia) that it is written on the back of a property writ, but
      that it "has been copied from an earlier original as can be shown from slips
      of the pen."

      I'd like to be able to look at slips of the pen and the property writ for
      myself.
      I don't know how long a II/III c property writ would run, but I assume it
      would take up less space (and papyri) then the Greek of a copy of gThom, and
      I would like to also check out the text (and other similar property writs of
      about the same time) in case the location of the property can be ascertained.

      Bill Foley
      Woburn
    • Peter Kirby
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
        > Does anyone know where I can get a good photo of pOxy 654?
        >
        > Hennecke-Schneemelcher-Wilson says (New Testament Apocrypha vol. 1 p.
        98-99,
        > 1963 Philadelphia) that it is written on the back of a property writ, but
        > that it "has been copied from an earlier original as can be shown from
        slips
        > of the pen."
        >
        > I'd like to be able to look at slips of the pen and the property writ for
        > myself.
        > I don't know how long a II/III c property writ would run, but I assume
        it
        > would take up less space (and papyri) then the Greek of a copy of gThom,
        and
        > I would like to also check out the text (and other similar property writs
        of
        > about the same time) in case the location of the property can be
        ascertained.

        Have you tried _The Oxyrhynchus Papyri_ by Grenfell and Hunt? Some
        universities have it.

        best,
        Peter Kirby
      • Andrew Bernhard
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 17, 2002
          > Does anyone know where I can get a good photo of pOxy 654?

          The additional information section on the Gospel of Thomas has information
          about where photos have been published:

          http://www.gospels.net/additional/thomasadditional.html

          You will find images of P.Oxy. 654 (& 655) in Volume 4 of the Oxyrhynchus
          Papyri. Images of both sides of P.Oxy. 1 can be found in their earlier book
          _Logia Iesou_.

          Best,
          Andrew