Re: [GTh] GThom 61, Salome

  • James Lambert
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2002
      Tom Saunders wrote:

      <snip>

      > These references are from Easton's Dictionary regarding Salome.
      >
      > "(1.) The wife of Zebedee and mother of James and John (Mat. 27:56), and probably the sister of Mary, the mother of our Lord (John 19:25). She sought for her sons places of honour in Christ's kingdom (Matt. 20:20, 21; comp. 19:28). She witnessed the crucifixion (Mark 15:40), and was present with the other women at the sepulchre (Matt. 27:56). "

      Clearly this identification is derived solely from the Biblical texts
      themselves. It is an attempt to harmonize the accounts. Salome is named
      only in Mark so all of these other identifiers are but the result of
      equating Salome in Mark with the unnamed mother of the sons of Zebedee
      in Matthew.

      The Gospel of the Egyptians challenges that identification. Its author
      clearly did not equate the disciple Salome with the mother of the sons
      of Zebedee. It is not Easton's perception of Salome that interests us,
      but rather the Salome as presented in the Egyptian Gospel and Thomas.

      > I think the case can be made that if Mary Magdeline was with Jesus, it is logical from the references in Mark and the time frames given for the Jesus story in Mark, that Salome was with the group at the same time. This would be from the Galilean ministry on.

      If you are proposing that Salome left her home to follow Jesus, I must
      disagree. Yes, Salome was Galilean, but if she was upper-class then it
      is a bit much to suppose that she was traveling around with Jesus.
      Consider Joanna, the wife of Herod's steward. She was listed as
      supporting Jesus and his followers, but surely she wasn't on the road.
      No, she was essentially a member of Herod's court and Herod was the
      tetrarch of Galilee. So her presence in Galilee is explained. She was
      also listed as being at Jesus' tomb in Jerusalem which makes sense as
      Herod and his court had traveled to Jerusalem for the Passover
      celebration. Being a member of Herod's court, her appearance in both
      Galilee and Jerusalem at these specific times is justified without
      assuming that she had been traveling with the group itself. If Salome
      was a member of the same circle as Joanna then naturally the same would
      hold true for her as well.

      <snip>

      --
      James Lambert