Re: [GTh] A Postulated Proto-Q as Predecessor for Proto-Thomas

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      INTRODUCTION

      On 8-2, I proposed the hypothesis that, within GTh, are two earlier
      documents: Proto-Thomas and Pre-Thomas.

      Proto-Thomas is postulated to consist of three sections:(1) a 3x3 = 9 unit
      section, (2) a 5x5 = 25 unit section, and (3) a 3x3 = 9 unit section

      Proto-Thomas is postulated to consist of a 6x6 = 36 unit section.

      Further, within each section, dialogue units are interspersed among the
      sayings units according to a set of rules.

      It strikes me as likely that the postulated Proto-Thomas and Pre-Thomas are
      second generation documents: with the first generation documents being
      simpler in that they lack the set of rules involving the interspersing of
      dialogue units. That is to say, the postulated first generation documents
      are strictly sayings documents that consist of one or more sections: with
      each section consisting a number of units that is always a square number
      greater than 1 (i.e., 4, 9, 16, 25, etc.).

      Indeed, judging by evidence given in this post, there might have been an
      edition of Q that consisted of 7x7 = 49 sayings units.

      It is concluded that the postulated document, to be called Proto-Q, might be
      a first-generation document, even earlier than Proto-Thomas in age.

      THE STRUCTURE OF Q

      In Q Parallels, John S. Kloppenborg postulates that Q consisted of 68 units
      (units S1 to S68)

      However, his units S31 (Luke 11:27-28), S40 (Luke 12:13-14, 16-21), S43
      (Luke 12:35-38), S59 (Luke 15:8-10), and S65 (Luke 17:20-21) are Lukan
      passages without Matthean parallels and so, technically, are not a part of
      the Q tradition but, rather, a part of the Lukan tradition.

      Subtracting these five units leaves us with 63 units: which is 7x9.

      This suggests the possibility that we are dealing with 9 cycles of 7 units
      each.

      Indeed, when we divide the 63 units into nine cycles of 7 units each, we
      find that there are 7 such cycles which consist only of sayings of Jesus and
      2 such cycles (cycles 1 and 3) that are a mixed-bag of sayings and other
      material

      This suggests that there was an original document, Proto-Q, which consisted
      of 7x7 = 49 sayings. That is to say, it consisted of cyles 2 and 4-9. Then,
      later, two additional cycles of 7 units each (i.e., cycles 1 and 3), each
      consisting of a mixed bag of sayings and other material, were added to form
      the final version of Q

      Here are the nine cycles

      Cycle 1 (mixed bag)
      S1 Incipit
      S2 Narrative (Luke 3:2-4)
      S3 Sayings (Luke 3:7-9)
      S4 Sayings (Luke 3:16-17)
      S5 Narrative (Luke 3:21-22)
      S6 Dialogue (Luke 4:1-13)
      S7 Narrative (Luke 6:12, 17, 20)

      Cycle 2 (sayings only)
      S8 Sayings (Luke 6:20-23)
      S9 Sayings (Luke 6:27-35)
      S10 Sayings (Luke 6:36-38)
      S11 Sayings (Luke 6:39-40)
      S12 Sayings (Luke 6:41-42)
      S13 Sayings (Luke 6:43-45)
      S14 Sayings (Luke 6:46-49)

      Cycle 3 (mixed bag)
      S15 Dialogue (Luke 7:1-10)
      S16 Dialogue (Luke 7:18-19, 22-23)
      S17 Sayings (Luke 7:24-28)
      S18 Sayings (Luke 16:16)
      S19 Narrative (Luke 7:29-30)
      S20 Sayings (Luke 7:31-32)
      S21 Narrative (Luke 9:57-60)

      Cycle 4 (sayings only)
      S22 Sayings (Luke 10:2-12)
      S23 Sayings (Luke 10:13-15)
      S24 Sayings (Luke 10:16)
      S25 Sayings (Luke 10:21-22)
      S26 Sayings (Luke 10:23-24)
      S27 Sayings (Luke 11:2-4)
      S28 Sayings (Luke 11:9-13)

      Cycle 5 (sayings only)
      S29 Sayings (Luke 11:14-15, 17-23)
      S30 Sayings (Luke 11:24-26)
      S32 Sayings (Luke 11:16, 29-32)
      S33 Sayings (Luke 11:33-36)
      S34 Sayings (Luke 11:39b-44, 46-52)
      S35 Sayings (Luke 12:2-3)
      S36 Sayings (Luke 12:4-7)

      Cycle 6: All Sayings
      S37(Luke 12:8-9)
      S38 (Luke 12:10)
      S39 (Luke 12:11-12)
      S41 (Luke 12:22-31)
      S42 (Luke 12:33-34)
      S44 (Luke 12:39-40)
      S45 (Luke 12:42-46)

      Cycle 7: All Sayings
      S46 (Luke 12::51-53)
      S47 (Luke 12:54-56)
      S48 (Luke 12:57-59)
      S49 (Luke 13:18-21)
      S50 (Luke 13:24, 26-27)
      S51 (Luke 13:28-30)
      S52 (Luke 13:34-35)

      Cycle 8: All Sayings
      S53 (Luke 14:5)
      S54 (Luke 14:11, 18:14b)
      S55 (Luke 14:16-24)
      S56 (Luke 14:26-27, 33)
      S57 (Luke 14:34-35)
      S58 (Luke 15:4-7)
      S60 (Luke 16:13)

      Cycle 9: All Sayings
      S61 (Luke 16:16-18)
      S62 (Luke 17:1-2)
      S63 (Luke 17:3-4)
      S64 (Luke 17:6)
      S66 (Luke 17:23-24, 26-27, 30, 34-35, 37b
      S67 (Luke 19:12-13, 15b-27)
      S68 (Luke 22:28-30)

      Note 1 Some of the Lukan units listed above, upon which the Q units are
      based, are smaller than the Lukan units listed by Kloppenborg because some
      of his Lukan units contain, besides Q tradition material, some Lukan
      tradition material. Where I spotted such Lukan tradition material in his
      Lukan units, I deleted it.

      Note 2: Some of the sayings units have brief introductory narratives, the
      most substantial being in the beginning of S29.

      THE PURPOSE OF PROTO-Q

      Why produce a sayings document consisting of seven cycles, with seven units
      per cycle, making a total of 49 units?

      While a hard and fast answer is not feasible, I think it significant that
      there was a 49 day count-down to Pentecost, beginning with the waving of
      the sheaf ceremony. Further, it appears that, for both the Essenes and the
      Therapeutae, Pentecost was the most important of the festivals. Finally,
      judging by Acts 2, Pentecost was also an important festival for early
      Christians.

      So, I suggest, Proto-Q was written with Pentecost in mind. Perhaps, during
      the seven week count-down to Pentecost, the members of the Q community
      gathered together once each week: with cycle 1 read on the first week, cycle
      2 on the second week, etc..

      This also helps us to understand why, later, two more cycles of seven units
      each were added to Proto-Q, thereby creating Q as known to Luke and Matthew.

      The reason I say this is that there is a 7x2 = 14 days count-down to
      Passover, which begins with the sighting of the new moon.

      The day the new moon was sighted became Nisan 1, so Passover, then, always
      occurred on Nisan 14.

      Further, according to the Pharisees, the waving of the sheaf, which begins
      the 49 day count-down to Pentecost, always occurs on the day after Passover.
      That is to say, it always occurs on Nisan 15.

      As a result, as reckoned by the Pharisees, the period from the sighting of
      the new moon that begins the count-down to Passover until Pentecost is
      always 9x7 = 63 days.

      So, I suggest, the members of the Q community expanded the proposed Proto-Q
      into the final Q by increasing the number of 7 unit cycles in it from 7
      to 9 so that they could begin the weekly readings during the week beginning
      with Nisan 1 rather than during the week beginning with Nisan 15.

      THE UNIQUENESS OF CYCLES 1 AND 3

      Besides being the only two cycles with a mixed bag of unit types, cycles 1
      and 3 have another uniqueness as well.

      That is, in each, there is major emphasis on John the Baptist as a
      fore-runner of Jesus that is absent from all the other cycles.

      This is additional evidence that they are later additions to a document
      consisting of the other seven cycles.

      This further indicates that the sitz im leben for the expansion of the
      Proto-Q into the final Q occurred at a time when the Q community deemed it
      important to stress that John the Baptist had been a fore-runner for Jesus,
      with Jesus being the successor of John.

      CONCLUDING REMARKS

      It might be that the postulated Proto-Thomas and Pre-Thomas are
      second generation documents: with the first generation documents being
      simpler in that they lack the set of rules involving the interspersing of
      dialogue units amidst the sayings units. That is to say, the postulated
      first generation documents were strictly sayings documents that consist of
      one or more sections: with each section consisting a number of units that is
      always a square number greater than 1 (i.e., 4, 9, 16, 25, etc.).

      Indeed, there is evidence for one such first generation document: a Proto-Q
      consisting of 7x7 = 49 sayings.

      If this is the case, then Proto-Q is even earlier than Proto-Thomas.

      As, in the 8-2 post, Proto-Thomas is tentatively dated c. 60 CE, this
      suggests that Proto-Q perhaps should be dated a decade or so earlier, i.e.,
      perhaps c. 50 CE.

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English Apt. 17
      Maplewood, MN USA 55109