Re: [GTh] Re Unknown in Q 1/61

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2002
      Robyn Adaire) comments:

      Can't you just see Matthew and Thomas sitting together listening to
      Jesus speech and Matthew is writing away like a stenographer and
      Thomas keeps looking over at what he is writing.........

      I can picture Matthew writing down things during the Galilean ministry, which would include the Salome mentioned in Mark and the Salome who is the mother of John and James, in Galilee. However after the crucifixion, the window of opportunity for extended writing occurs in the time frame of the Apostle's Village and the expansion from there. (This would include Tyre, Damascus, etc.)

      If Clement had the Gospel of the Egyptians, and Thomas is older (according to Ron) then Thomas could easily be dated to around 41 CE. This puts the GThom within the realm of actually being composed by Thomas using resources of other root Gospels.

      We only have two real markers for figuring the place and history for the origin of the GThom. The relic itself reveals no incident, person, or ideal that extends outside the era in which the Apostles formed the first followings. The other marker is the known places where Thomas formed followings, and we know he went east to Essene and India.

      Although the relics of the GThom have been recovered on the upper Nile, this follows the Silk Routes which Thomas was thought to have used to go east. I don't think Alexandria is a likely place for Thomas to have been composed. The presence of the GThom in Egypt does increase the likelihood that Valentinus had it, but I think the document existed some time before Alexandria formed Christian followings.

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK