Re: [GTh] Concerning #98 and 16

  • Grondin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      [Tom Saunders]:
      > Compare 16 and 98 below ... Has anyone in the group done a topical
      analysis?

      > (98) Said Jesus, "the kingdom of the father, she is like a man wanting to
      kill a man powerful. He drew the sword in his (own) house; he stuck her into
      the wall so that his hand will be strong inwardly(?) then he slew the
      powerful one."

      > (16) Jesus said : "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come
      to bring to the world. They do not know that I have come to bring to the
      earth : discord, fire, sword, and war. Indeed, if there are five in a house
      : three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the
      son, and the son against the father. And they will stand alone."

      Tom-
      A topical analysis can be done using the mini-indices under the interlinear
      at my site, which indicate, for example, that the word for 'sword' is used
      in both 16 & 98 and there only. I've done a few of these in the past, but
      I'm more concerned right now with the accuracy of your quoted translations.
      The first (#98) appears to be based on my interlinear, but it leaves out an
      important word that changes the sense of it. It isn't "so that his hand will
      be strong", but rather "so that _he might realize_ that(whether) his hand
      will be strong". By leaving out the verbal phrase, your rendition suggests
      that the man is practising in order to strengthen his hand, rather than
      testing his resolve, which I think is the intended meaning.

      The second quote (#16) is from a different source entirely, which is not
      good practice. In addition, however, it contains a major error that changes
      the sense of the saying. It says "IF there are five in a house...", but
      there is no conditional in the original text, which asserts unconditionally
      that "There WILL BE five in a house ..." Admittedly, the latter is more
      mysterious than the former, but I think the translator (whoever it is) has
      overstepped his/her bounds in this case. (The translator has also rearranged
      the second line, which should read: "I have come to bring discord to the
      earth: fire, sword, and war.") Based on this small sample, it seems that
      this second translation is unreliable and ought not to be used. Better to
      use Lambdin or Patterson.

      Mike Grondin
      Mt. Clemens, MI