Concerning #98 and 16

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2002
      Thank you all for your response to the 98 post.

      I recently went to Tennessee were I purchased a number of new books including Crossan's "The Birth of Christianity" and Baker's "Topical Guide to the Bible." Hopefully I will get to read them soon when I get chores at the ranch caught up.

      Several on the list have many ideas about symbolic meanings to the GThom. However I suggest there may be a topical arragement within the text. This would make have a dramatic effect on what we can conclude from symbolic meanings. Compare 16 and 98 below, and give us you thoughts on this possibility. Has anyone in the group done a topical analysis?

      (98) Said Jesus, "the kingdom of the father, she is like a man wanting to kill a man powerful. He drew the sword in his (own) house; he stuck her into the wall so that his hand will be strong inwardly(?) then he slew the powerful one."

      (16) Jesus said : "Men think, perhaps, that it is peace which I have come to bring to the world. They do not know that I have come to bring to the earth : discord, fire, sword, and war. Indeed, if there are five in a house : three will be against two, and two against three, the father against the son, and the son against the father. And they will stand alone."

      Tom Saunders, Platter Flats, OK