Re: [GTh] Re: Five, Two and One: that is fascinating Randall

  • Ron McCann
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9 4:28 PM
      Randall & James,

      I wonder when any of us are going to call a spade a spade here. Barbara
      Theiring's material is as bonkers as I am, IMHO. ( It takes one to know
      one?). Her book is an embarrassment to scholarship, but nobody wants to say
      so.

      Certainly those people used Pesher, and more power to Theiring for flagging
      it, (that case is convincing,) but in my opinion it is just as bonkers an
      approach now as it was then. Yet she exercises it ! You see what you
      want/expect to see. It's just so much "reading in". I see it as a historical
      curiousity. I am reminded of rabbinical lore where the contents of a few
      lines of the Torah are made pregnant with "significant" meaning. "This
      signifies..." What follows is usually a significant departure from the text
      or any reasonable reality. This once passed for scholarship. It is still
      revered as such, apparently. I sure don't see any Pesher in the GOT.

      Equally, I would look askance at Burton L. Mack's material. In my view it is
      just not reliable. Many of his Q sayings have Markan parallels. Some of his
      Q sayings are only supported by Luke not Matthew. This violates the major
      criteria or how we arrive at a Q saying. His parallels with Thomas are an
      unmitigated disaster. There are SO many more. I'll eat my hat, if this is a
      reliable scholarly work. ( Ketchup please). It follows that his
      speculations, based on HIS Q should be taken with a grain of salt, if not
      Ex-Lax.

      So, there you have it. Some significant authors of our time on this subject
      cannot be trusted to have done the work they implicitly or explicitly claim
      to have done.

      Best,

      Ron McCann
      Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada