Re: Five and Two

  • docgroove1017
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2002
      James,
      Regarding the five trees:
      I believe the number five represents the disciple initiated into the
      inner mysteries by completing all five Gnostic rites.
      Please consider such a Gnostic reading of Matthew's parable of
      the "talents" or "pounds".

      The servant given FIVE bags of gold represents one who has undergone
      all five rites of initiation into the mystery of Gnosis: baptism,
      chrism, eucharist, redemption, and bridal chamber.
      This is the person of Spirit, the pneumatic.

      The servant given TWO bags of gold represents a novice who has
      received only the elementary lessons.
      He has yet to "make the two into One", thus he is two. Ruled by a
      soul, which focuses on dualism, judging good and evil, this is the
      psychic.

      The servant given only ONE bag of gold still identifies only with an
      earthly body. He is ignorant of the presence of a soul or Spirit.
      His body ends up buried in a hole in the ground, where he waits for
      an angry god to come and "take what is theirs" (88).
      This is the hylic.

      Matthew 25:14-29
      "It is like a man going abroad, who called his servants and entrusted
      his capital to them; to one he gave five bags of gold, to another
      two, to another one, each according to his ability. Then he left the
      country. The man who had the five bags went at once and employed them
      in business, and made a profit of five bags, and the man who had the
      two bags made two. But the man who had been given one bag of gold
      went off and dug a hole in the ground, and hid his master's money. A
      long time afterwards their master returned, and proceeded to settle
      accounts with them. The man who had been given the five bags of gold
      came and produced the five he had made; "Master," he said, "you left
      five bags with me; look, I have made five more." "Well done, good
      and faithful servant!" said the master. "You have proved trustworthy
      in a small matter; I will now put you in charge of something big.
      Come and share your master's joy." The man with the two bags then
      came and said, "Master, you left two bags with me; look I have made
      two more." "Well done, good and faithful servant!" said the
      master. "You have proved trustworthy in a small matter; I will now
      put you in charge of something big. Come and share your master's
      joy." Then the man who had been given one bag came and
      said, "Master, I knew you to be a hard man: you reap where you have
      not sown, you gather where you have not scattered; so I was afraid,
      and I went and hid you gold in the ground. Here it is – you have
      what belongs to you." "You worthless, lazy servant!" said the
      master. "You knew, did you, that I reap where I have not sown, and
      gather where I have not scattered? Then you ought to have put my
      money on deposit, and on my return I should have got it back with
      interest. Take the bag of gold from him, and give it to the one with
      the ten bags."

      The parable concludes with:

      "For everyone who has
      will be given more,
      till he has enough to spare;
      and everyone who has nothing
      will forfeit even what he has."

      A very similar saying also appears in Thomas (41)

      A gnostic reading of The Sower (9) also reveals the special
      significance of the number five.
      In the parable of "The Sower" (9), the phrase: "bore sixty per
      measure and a hundred and twenty per measure." may refer to each of
      the twelve disciples receiving FIVE measures, as in the five Gnostic
      sacraments. 12 x 5 = 60
      If they each doubled what they were given, as in the parable of
      the "talents" in Matthew 25:14-29, that would be TEN measures
      each. 12 x 10 = 120

      In the inverted logic of the Kingdom, when you "make the two into
      one", you don't get half as much but twice as much!

      Randall E. Wilson
      (Sorry I forgot to sign the last one)