Re: [GTh] Thomas Tradition and Tyre II

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002

      This is the second in a series of nine posts in which it is argued that
      there are three strata in GTh and they provide us with an outline of what
      happened to the Thomas church.

      In this post, the text of Proto-Thomas, one of the documents postulated to
      have been written by the Thomas church, is given.

      Section I An SsssDsssS Section

      1. An S unit

      2.Jesus said, "Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he
      finds he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be
      astonished, and he will rule over the All."

      2. Three s units

      3. Jesus said, "If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the Kingdom is in
      the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you,
      'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather the Kingdom is
      inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves,
      then you will become known, and you will realize that is is you who are the
      sons of the living Father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell
      in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."
      4.Jesus said, "The man old in days will not hesitate to ask a small child
      seven days old about the place of life, and he will live. For many who are
      first will become last, and they will become one and the same."
      5.Jesus said, "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden
      from you will become plain to you. For there is nothing hidden which will
      not become manifest."

      3. a D unit

      6. His disciples questioned Him and said to Him, "Do You want us to fast?
      How shall we pray? Shall we give alms? What diet shall we observe?" Jesus
      said, "Do not tell lies, and do not do what you hate, for all things are
      plain in the sight of heaven. For nothing hidden will not become manifest,
      and nothing covered will remain without being uncovered."

      4. Three s units

      7.Jesus said, "Blessed is the lion which becomes man when consumed by man;
      and cursed is the man whom the lion consumes, and the lion becomes man."
      8. And he said, "The man is like a wise fisherman who cast his net into the
      sea and drew it up from the sea full of small fish. Among them the wise
      fisherman found a fine large fish. He threw all the small fish back into the
      sea and chose the large fish without difficulty. Whoever has ears to hear,
      let him hear."
      9. Jesus said, "Now the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and
      scattered them. Some fell on the road; the birds came and gathered them up.
      Others fell on rock, did not take root in the soil, and did not produce
      ears. And others fell on thorns; they choked the seed(s) and worms ate
      them. And others fell on the good soil and produced good fruit: it bore
      sixty per measure and a hundred and twenty per measure."

      5. An S unit

      10. Jesus said, "I have cast fire upon the world, and see, I am guarding it
      until it blazes."

      Section II: an SsssssDsssssDsssssDsssssS Section

      1. An S unit

      31.Jesus said, "No prophet is accepted in his own village; no physician
      heals those who know him."

      2. Five s units

      32. Jesus said, "A city built on a high mountain and fortified cannot fall,
      nor can it be hidden."
      33. Jesus said, "Preach from your housetops that which you hear hear in your
      ear (and) in the other ear. For no one lights a lamp and upts it under a
      bushel, nor does he put it in a hidden place, but rather he sets it on a
      lampstand so that everyone who enters and leaves will see its light."
      34.Jesus said, "If a blind man leads a blind man, they will both fall into a
      35.Jesus said, "It is not possible for any one to enter the house of a
      strong man and take it by force unless he binds his hands; then he will (be)
      able to ransack his house."
      36. Jesus said, "Do not be concerned from morning until evening and from
      evening until morning about what you will wear."

      3. a D unit

      37. His disciples said, "When will you become revealed to us and when shall
      we see You?" Jesus said, "When you disrobe without being ashamed and take
      up your garments and place them under your feet like little children and
      tread on them, then [will you see] the Son of the Living One and you will
      not be afraid."

      4. Five s units

      38.Jesus said, "Many times have you desired to hear these words which I am
      saying to you, and you have no one else to hear them from. There will be
      days when you will look for Me and will not find Me."
      39. Jesus said, "The Pharisees and the scribes have taken the keys of
      Knowledge and hidden them. They themselves have not entered, nor have they
      allowed to enter those who wish to. You, however, be as wise as serpents
      and as innocent as doves."
      40. Jesus said, "A grapevine has been planted outside of the Father, but
      being unsound, it will be pulled up by its roots and destroyed."
      41. Jesus said, "Whoever has something in his hand will receive more, and
      whoever has nothing will be deprived of even the little he has."
      42. Jesus said, "Become passers-by."

      5. a D unit

      43. His disciples said to him, "Who are You, that You should say these
      things to us?" "You do not realize who I am from what I say to you, but you
      have become like the Jews, for they (either) love the tree and hate its
      fruit (or) love the fruit and hate the tree."

      6. Five s units

      44.Jesus said, "Whoever blasphemes against the Father will be forgiven, and
      whoever blasphemes against the Son will be forgiven, but whoever blasphemes
      against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven either on earth or in heaven."
      45. Jesus said, "Grapes are not harvested from thorns, nor are figs gathered
      from thistles, for they do not produce fruit. A good man brings forth good
      from his storehouse; and evil man brings forth evil things from his evil
      storehouse, which is in his heart, and says evil things. For out of the
      abundance of the heart he brings forth evil things."
      46. Jesus said, "Among those born of women, from Adam until John the
      Baptist, there is no one so superior to John the Baptist that his eyes
      should not be lowered (before) him. Yet I have said, whichever one of you
      comes to be a child, will be acquainted with the Kingdom and will become
      superior to John."
      47. Jesus said, "It is impossible for a man to mount two horses or to
      stretch two bows. And it is impossible for a servant to serve two masters;
      otherwise he will honor the one and treat the other contemptuously. No man
      drinks old wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is
      not put into old wineskins, lest they burst; nor is old wine put into a new
      wineskin, let it spoil it. An old patch is not sewn into a new garment,
      because a tear would result."
      48. Jesus said, "If two make peace with each other in this one house, they
      will say to the mountain, 'Move away,' and it will move away."

      7. A D unit

      61. Jesus said, "Two will rest on a bed: the one will die and the other will
      live." Salome said, "Who are You, man, that You, as though from the One,
      have come up on my couch and eaten from my table?" Jesus said to her, "I am
      He who exists from the Undivided. I was given some of the things of my
      Father." "I am your disciple." "Therefore I say, if he is <undivided>, he
      will be filled with light, but if he is divided, he will be filled with

      8. Five s units

      62.Jesus said, "It is those [who are worthy of My] mysteries that I tell my
      mysteries. Do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."
      63. Jesus said, "There was a rich man who had much money. He said, "I shall
      put my money to use so that I may sow, reap, plant, and fill my storehouse
      with produce, with the result that I shall lack nothing.' Such were his
      intentions, but that same night he died. Let him who has ears hear."
      64. Jesus said, "A man had received visitors. And when he had prepared the
      dinner, he sent his servant to invite the guests. He went to the first one
      and said to him, 'My master invites you.' He said, 'I have claims against
      some merchants. They are coming to me this evening. I must go and give
      them my orders. I ask to be excused from the dinner.' He went to another
      and said to him, 'My master has invited you.' He said to him, 'My friend is
      going to get married, and I am to prepare the banquet. I shall not be able
      to come. I ask to be excused from the dinner.' He went to another and said
      to him, 'My master invites you.' He said to him, 'I have just bought a
      farm, and I am on my way to collect the rent. I shall not be able to come.
      I ask to be excused.' The servant returned and said to his master, 'Those
      whom you invited to the dinner have asked to be excused.' The master said to
      his servant, 'Go outside to the streets and bring back those whom you happen
      to meet, so that they may dine.' Businessmen and merchants will not enter
      the Places of My Father.'"
      65. He said, "There was a good man who owned a vineyard. He leased it to
      tenant farmers so that they might work it and he might collect the produce
      from them. He sent his servant so that the tenants might give him the
      produce of the vineyard. They seized his servant and beat him, all but
      killing him. The servant went back and told his master. The master said,
      'Perhaps <they> did not recognize <him>.' He sent another servant. The
      tenants beat this one as well. Then the owner sent his son and said,
      'Perhaps they will show respect to my son.' Because the tenants knew that
      it was he who was the heir to the vineyard, they seized him and killed him.
      Let him who has ears hear."
      89.Jesus said, "Why do you wash the outside of the cup? Do you not realize
      that he who made the inside is the same one who made the outside?"

      9. an S unit

      90. Jesus said, "Come unto me, for My yoke is easy and My lordship is mild,
      and you will find repose for yourselves."

      Section III: a DsssSsssD Section

      1. a D unit

      91. They said to Him, "Tell us who You are so that we may believe in You."
      He said to them, "You read the face of the sky and of the earth, but you
      have not recognized the one who (or: that which) is before you, and you do
      not know how to read this moment."

      2. Three s units

      92.Jesus said, "Seek and you will find. Yet, what you asked Me about in
      former times and which I did not tell you then, now I do desire to tell, but
      you do not inquire after it."
      93. <Jesus said,> "Do not give what is holy to dogs, lest they throw them on
      the dung-heap. Do not throw the pearls to swine, lest they grind it [to
      94. Jesus [said], "He who seeks will find, and [he who knocks] will be let

      3. an S unit

      95. [Jesus said,], "If you have money, do not lend it at interest, but give
      [it] to one from whom you will not get it back."

      4. Three s units

      96. Jesus [said], "The Kingdom of the Father is like a certain woman. She
      took a little leaven, [concealed] it in some dough, and made it into large
      loaves. Let him who has ears hear."
      97. Jesus said, "The kingdom of the [Father] is like a certain woman who was
      carrying a jar full of meal. While she was walking [on] a road, still some
      distance from home, the handle of the jar broke and the meal emptied out
      befind her on the road. She did not realize it; she had noticed no
      When she reached her house, she set the jar down and found it empty,"
      98. Jesus said, "The Kingdom of the Father is like a certain man who wanted
      to kill a powerful man. In his own house he drew his sword and stuck it
      into the wall in order to find out whether his hand could carry through.
      Then he slew the powerful man."

      5. a D unit

      99. The disciples said to Him, "Your brothers and Your mother are standing
      outside." He said to them, "Those here who do the will of My Father are My
      brothers and My mother. It is they who will enter the Kingdom of My

      Note: The above is based on the the translation of GThomas by Helmut Koester
      and Thomas O. Layton in The Nag Hammadi Library (Harper & Row, publishers.
      E. J. Brill, copyright, 1977)

      (Continued on Part III of a IX Part Posting)

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English
      Maplewood, MN USA 55109