Re: [GTh] Thomas Tradition and Tyre III

  • fmmccoy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2002

      This is the third in a series of nine posts in which it is argued that
      there are three strata in GTh and they provide us with information on the
      Thomas church: its locataion, history, sociological make-up, and beliefs.

      In this post, the text of Pre-Thomas, one of the documents postulated to
      have been written by the Thomas church, is given

      These are the secret sayings which the living Jesus spoke and which Didymos
      Judas Thomas wrote down.

      The Main Body: An SssssssDssssssDsssssssDssssssDssssssS Section

      1. an S unit

      1.And he said, "Whoever finds the interpretation of these sayings will not
      experience death."

      2. Six s units

      25.Jesus said, "Love your brother like your soul, guard him like the pupil
      of your eye."
      26. Jesus said, "You see the mote in your brother's eye, but you do not see
      the beam in your own eye. When you cast the beam out of your own eye, then
      you will see clearly to cast the mote from your brother's eye."
      27. <Jesus said,> "If you do not fast as regards the world, you will not
      find the Kingdom. If you do not observe the Sabbath as a Sabbath, you will
      not see the Father."
      28. Jesus said, "I took My place in the midst of the world, and I appeared
      to them in the flesh. I found all of them intoxicated; I found none of them
      thirsty. And My soul became afflicted for the sons of men, because they are
      blind in their hearts and do not have sight; for empty they come into the
      world, and empty too they seek to leave the world. But for the moment they
      are intoxicated. When they shake off their wine, then they will repent."
      29. Jesus said, "If the flesh came into being because of spirit, it is a
      wonder. But if spirit came into being because of the body, it is a wonder
      of wonders. Indeed, I am amazed at how this great wealth has made its home
      in poverty."
      30. Jesus said, "Where there are three gods, they are gods. Where there are
      two or one, I am with him."

      3. a D unit

      53 His disciples said to Him, "Is circumcision beneficial or not?" He said
      to them, "If it were beneficial, their father would beget them already
      circumcised from their mother. Rather, the true circumcision in spirit has
      become completely profitable."

      4. Six s units

      54.Jesus said, "Blessed are the poor, for yours is the Kingdom of Heaven."
      55 Jesus said, "Whoever does not hate his father and his mother cannot
      become a disciple to Me. And whoever does not hate his brothers and sisters
      and take up his cross in My way will not be worthy of me."
      56 Jesus said, "Whoever has come to understand the world has found (only) a
      corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
      57 Jesus said, "The Kingdom of the Father is like a man who had [good] seed.
      His enemy came by night and sowed weeds among the good seed. The man did
      not allow them to pull up the weeds; he said to them, 'I am afraid that you
      will go intending to pull up the weeds and pull up the wheat along with
      them.' For on the day of the harvest the weeds will be plainly visible, and
      they will be pulled up and burned."
      58.Jesus said, "Blessed is the man who has suffered and found life."
      59. Jesus said, "Take heed of the Living One while you are alive, lest you
      die and seek to see Him and be unable to do so."

      5. a D unit

      60. <They saw> a Samaritan carrying a lamb on his way to Judea. He said to
      his disciples, "(Why does) that man (carry) the lamb around?" They said to
      Him, "He cannot do so otherwise." He said to them, "You too, look for a
      place for yourselves within Repose, lest you become a corpse and be eaten."

      6. Six s units

      66. Jesus said, "Show me the stone which the builders have rejected. This
      one is the cornerstone."
      67.Jesus said, "Whoever believes that the All itself is deficient is
      (himself) completely deficient."
      68. Jesus said, "Blessed are you when you are hated and persecuted.
      Wherever you have been persecuted, they will find no Place."
      69. Jesus said, "Blessed are they who have been persecuted within
      themselves. It is they who have truly come to know the Father. Blessed are
      the hungry, for the belly of him who desires will be filled."
      70. Jesus said, "That which you have will save you if you bring it forth
      from yourselves. That which you do not have within you will kill you if you
      do not have it within you."
      71. Jesus said, "I shall destroy [this] house, and no one will be able to
      rebuild it."

      7. a D unit

      72. [A man said] to Him, "Tell my brothers to divide my father's possessions
      with me." He said to him, "O man, who has made Me a divider?" He turned to
      His disciples and said to them, "I am not a divider, am I?"

      8. Six s units

      73. Jesus said, "The harvest is great but the laborers are few. Beseech the
      Lord, therefore, to send out laborers to the harvest."
      74. He said, "O Lord, there are many around the drinking trough, but there
      is nothing in the cistern."
      75. Jesus said, "Many are standing at the door, but it is the solitary who
      will enter the bridal chamber."
      76. Jesus said, "The Kingdom of the Father is like a merchant who had a
      consignment of merchandise and who discovered a pearl. That merchant was
      shrewd. He sold the merchandise and bought the pearl alone for himself.
      You too, seek his unfailing and enduring treasure where no moth comes near
      to devour and no worm destroys."
      77. Jesus said, "It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I
      who am the All. From Me did the All extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am
      there. Lift up the stone, and you will find Me there."
      78. Jesus said, 'Why have you come out into the desert? To see a reed
      shaken by the wind? And to see a man clothed in fine garments like your
      kings and your great men? Upon them are the fine [garments], and they are
      unable to discern the truth."

      9. a D unit

      79. A woman from the crowd said to Him, "Blessed are the womb which bore You
      and the breasts which nourished You." He said to her, "Blessed are those
      who have heard the word of the Father and have truly kept it. For there
      will be days when you will say, 'Blessed are the womb which has not
      conceived and the breasts which have not given milk.'"

      10. Six s units

      105. Jesus said, "He who knows the father and the mother will be called the
      son of the harlot."
      106. Jesus said, "When you make the two one, you will become the sons of
      man, and when you say, 'Mountain, move away,' it will move away."
      107. Jesus said, "The Kingdom is like a shepherd who had a hundred sheep.
      One of them, the largest, went astray. He left the ninety-nine and looked
      for that one until he found it. When he had gone to such trouble, he said
      to the sheep, "I care for you more than the ninety-nine."
      108. Jesus said, "He who will drink from My mouth will become like Me. I
      myself shall become he, and the things that are hidden will be revealed to
      109. Jesus said, "the Kingdom is like a man who had a [hidden] treasure in
      his field without knowing it. And [after] he died, he left it to his son.
      The son did not know (about the treasure). He inherited the field and sold
      [it]. And the one who bought it went plowing and found the treasure. He
      began to lend money at interest to whomever he wished."
      110. Jesus said, "Whoever finds the world and becomes rich, let him
      renounce the world."

      11. an S unit

      111a. Jesus said, "The heavens and the earth will be rolled up in your
      presence. And the one who lives from the Living One will not see death."

      111b. Does not Jesus say, "Whoever finds himself is superior to the world"?

      Note: The above is based on the the translation of GThomas by Helmut Koester
      and Thomas O. Layton in The Nag Hammadi Library (Harper & Row, publishers.
      E. J. Brill, copyright, 1977)

      (Continued in Part IV of a IX part posting)

      Frank McCoy
      1809 N. English Apt. 17
      Maplewood, MN USA 55109