Re: [GTh] FW: Coptic MSS and Greek fonts

  • Grondin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 7 11:00 AM
      [Dave Hindley]:
      > There ARE examples of this everyday cursive script. I provided a link to
      an
      > example in two of my earlier massages.

      http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/papyrus/images/150dpi/9-at150.gif? No info
      is given as to date or even language, so I'm not sure whether this falls
      under Metzger's special use of the term 'cursive', which is pre-9th century.
      (See more on "cursive" below.)

      > All the formal sources I have found to date use
      > the terms Uncial, Cursive (sometimes also semi-cursive) and Minuscule ...

      Having now read the entirety of Metzger's classification scheme on pp. 8-12
      of TNT, I think I can see where my confusion arises. He uses the word
      'cursive' in both a technical and a generic way. What I mean is this:
      generically, 'cursive' just means 'run together'. It doesn't specify whether
      the run-together letters are capitals or small letters. Unfortunately,
      Metzger doesn't capitalize 'cursive' when he uses it to designate the
      pre-minuscule script. But note that when he introduces the 9th-century
      minuscule style, he refers to it as "this modified form of the cursive
      script"! In other words, it, too, is cursive in the generic sense - and yet
      he reserves the word 'cursive' elsewhere for the informal, pre-9th century
      script, thus creating confusion when we ourselves try to use that term. If
      by 'cursive' we mean 'run together', then minuscule is cursive, but if we're
      using 'Cursive' (in caps) to designate that pre-9th century informal script,
      then minuscule is not "Cursive".

      > Rochelle added the information that Majuscule and Minuscule
      > refer to relative size of letters.

      Well, not just that. Note that 'C' and 'c', 'O' and 'o', 'S' and 's', are
      different sizes, but have the same form, whereas 'A' and 'a', 'B' and 'b',
      etc, have different forms. So I would say that, in addition to being of
      smaller size, a minuscule symbol-set differs in form from a majuscule
      symbol-set, though they share some common symbols. In addition, however,
      cursive writing (as opposed to "hand-printing") creates the need for a
      certain kind of symbol-set, wherein the symbols can be easily joined. So, in
      English, you have a cursive minuscule "font" and a separate non-cursive
      minuscule "font". (As a side note, the introduction of a separate minuscule
      letter-set made capitalization of words possible, though it was some time in
      coming. Prior to that, the word 'the' was used to indicate capitalization,
      as in names of people and countries - which led to ambiguity in some cases.)

      > "Cursive" is apparently associated with both the Informal and Minuscule
      axis
      > of the chart ...

      Which I think is due to using the word 'cursive' in two different ways -
      both in a generic sense (as applied to Minuscule), and in a special,
      technical sense (to designate "everyday", pre-Minuscule cursive writing).

      >... but the additional detail about whether they are majuscule or
      > minuscule letter forms is left out of discussions centering on NT mss.
      Maybe
      > this is because there are no surviving Formal Minuscules of NT books.

      Not so. See Metzger p.61 ("Important Greek Minuscule Manuscripts of the New
      Testament").

      > My examination of images of common everyday papyri available on the web
      > tells me that most were in some form of uncial (distinct large letters)
      but
      > a sizable minority were true cursive, and many mixed uncial and cursive
      > styles.

      Which confirms for me what I already suspected, namely that the distinction
      between "formal" and "informal" isn't much help in delineating writing
      styles. Pre-9th century, a well-educated person might use Uncial style for
      his grocery list, while a poorly-educated person might use "Cursive" to
      write down a passage from scripture. What we can apparently say with some
      confidence is that "official" copies of texts were Uncial up to the 9th
      century, and mostly Minuscule thereafter.

      Mt. Clemens, MI
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 7 11:28 AM
        Hi David!

        I think I'm having a brain cramp, here. Maybe I missed part of the thread;
        maybe it's the mosquito bites; maybe it's that the collective IQ of the
        entire state of Maine has been reduced by the influx of 4th of July
        tourists. Dunno. In any case, maybe you can re-state your question.

        Thanks.

        Rick Hubbard
        Humble Maine Woodsman

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 8 7:14 AM
          Rick Hubbard said:

          >>I think I'm having a brain cramp, here. Maybe I missed part of the thread;
          maybe it's the mosquito bites; maybe it's that the collective IQ of the
          entire state of Maine has been reduced by the influx of 4th of July
          tourists. Dunno. In any case, maybe you can re-state your question.<<

          It all seems to be boiling down to a lack of precision in terminology in use
          to describe non-biblical (and sometimes biblical) manuscripts. The original
          messages were about what the script told us about the relative age of the
          copies of the two mss in the Bruce Codex. The evaluation of the quality or
          description of script used in any particular document seems to differ from
          scholar to scholar. We're pretty sure now that we are talking about Coptic
          letters, Sahadic dialect, but are not sure what the various scholars' meant
          by "cursive" script. Our recent messages were zeroing in on what the word
          "cursive" means, and I think we probably need to seek out some sort of
          authoritative works on the subject.

          Respectfully,

          Dave Hindley
          Cleveland, Ohio, USA

          PS: The NH finds receive a lot of attention, and the three gnostic codices
          known since the 18th-19th centuries receive almost none. Supposedly, the
          latter are not of the same quality as some of the ones in the NH corpus.
          However, they all appear to have been copied around the same time (ca.
          300-500 CE), so I do not understand the differential treatment. Just try to
          find much more than a sentence or two on the Pistis Sophia or the Books of
          Jeu in Layton's _Gnostic Scriptures_ or Rudolph's _Gnosis_, much less
          excerpts or translations.