Re: The Lion Passage

  • Brian Turner
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2002
      The lion is considered akin to Satan in the book of Sirach, regarded as
      cannonical only by the Roman Catholic church. eg

      SIRACH 21:2 Flee from sin as from a serpent that will bite you if you go
      near it. Its teeth are lion's teeth, destroying the souls of men.

      There are other examples. It is clear that Jesus was familiar with this book
      as he quotes from it.

      SIRACH 18:33 Become not a glutton and a winebibber with nothing in your
      purse.

      Sorry to intrude on you fine scholars, however you may not be familiar with
      this.

      Brian Turner

      Te Horo by the Sea
    • docgroove1017
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2002
        Thanks Brain!
        I seemed to have missed that one!
        In the Revised English Bible "Sirarch" is called "Ecclesiasticus".
        "A serpent" with "lion's teeth" is certainly a close match
        to The Apocryphon of John's
        "a lion-faced serpent … called … Yaltabaoth"
        Randall Wilson
        Lebanon, IL
        USA