Re: [GTh] The Lion Passage

  • Mowthpeece@aol.com
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 30, 2002
      In a message dated 6/30/02 10:12:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      dhindley@... writes:

      > >>My interpretaion is based on the "Gnostic" assumption that
      > the lion is Yaldabaoth. I also propose that Yaldabaoth was
      > reinterpreted as "the devil" in 1Peter 5:8 "The devil, as a
      > roaring lion walketh about seeking whom he may devour."
      >
      > Does anyone else on this list think the author of this
      > saying intended a connection between Yaldabaoth and the
      > lion? If so, who do you think the author was? A historical
      > Jesus? or a later "Gnostic" author?<<
      >
      > My opinion would be the association went the other way.
      > "Satan" (or the devil, if you will) in Jewish tradition was
      > likened to a lion, maybe because it consumes anything it
      > wants. When some Jews became gnostics in the late 1st
      > century, they adorned the redemption myth they adopted with
      > imagery from Judaism. While in their view the traditional
      > concept of the Jewish God was transformed into the arrogant
      > war-oriented Yaldabaoth, who destroys and punishes nations
      > at his whim and will. He is, essentially, now no different
      > than the old notion of Satan, and as a result takes on
      > Satan's associations - the lion.
      >
      > Respectfully,
      >
      > Dave Hindley
      > Cleveland, Ohio, USA

      Interesting idea, but I personally can't get past the astrotheological
      associations of the Lion with Christ....my mind just won't go to the Lion as
      Satan too.....that's not to say that some symbols haven't crossed over..Venus
      the Morning Star sure did....

      anna

    • docgroove1017
      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 6, 2002
        (7)
        Jesus said,
        "Blessed is the lion
        which becomes man
        when consumed by man;
        and cursed is the man
        whom the lion consumes,
        and the lion becomes man."

        (60)
        "You too, look for a place for yourselves within repose,
        lest you become a corpse and be eaten."

        "Authoritative Teaching
        "The adversary spies on us, lying in wait ...wishing to seize us,
        rejoicing that he might swallow us. ... She gave her body to those
        who had given it to her, and ... the dealers in bodies sat down and
        wept because they were not able to do any business with that body¬Ö
        They did not realize that she has an invisible spiritual body"

        Ron,
        There seems to have been an underlying concept that the "life-force"
        of the creature being eaten was somehow transferred to the carnivore
        that ate them. If the carnivore is "Adam" and we can assume here
        that he is on the side of "good", then the creature eaten has given
        his "life-force" to aid the side of "good". If, however, a person has
        not yet "found a place within repose", he is in danger of being
        "eaten" by the evil archons and thus aiding "the dark side". Still
        confused? Watch Star Wars and may the Force be with you!
        Once the "two are made into one", there is no longer a concern
        for "good" and "evil" and the state of "rest" is achieved. Once
        there, you no longer have to worry about being "eaten".

        Randy Wilson
        Lebanon, IL
        USA

      • docgroove1017
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 10, 2002
          --- In gthomas@y..., "Ron McCann" <ronmccann1@s...> wrote:
          > It is sort of like the "five trees".. Your can't crack it.
          > Ron McCann
          > Saskastoon, Canada

          Anyone here want to try to explain the five trees?
          (19)Jesus said,...
          For there are five trees for you in Paradise which remain undisturbed
          summer and winter and whose leaves do not fall.
          Whoever becomes acquainted with them
          will not experience death."

          Does anyone believe there is a lost part of the "Pistis Sophia" that
          might be found to gives some more info? It says "he had not told them
          in which places the five trees are spread", but then it never
          mentions them again!

          My hypothesis is that the five trees in Saying (19) are the
          five Gnostic rites of initiation and may have been associated with
          actual plants as were the Greek gods and goddesses.

          1.) BAPTISM = LILY (WATER LILY) = JUNO
          [goddess of childbirth- "born again"]

          2.) EUCHARIST = VINE (WINE) = BACCHUS
          [another dying and resurrecting god!]
          ??? and WHEAT (BREAD) = DEMETER

          3.) CHRISM = OLIVE (OIL) = MINERVA
          [goddess of Wisdom/Sophia, "Spirit"]
          ??? OR BALSAM

          4.) REDEMPTION = OAK = JUPITER
          (god of the sky)
          [meeting archons in ascent through heavens]

          5.) BRIDAL CHAMBER = LINDEN = PHILEMON & BAUCIS
          [the eternal couple representing mutual love]

          I found the corelations between trees and gods mentioned on the
          following site very informative.
          http://www.cybercomm.net/~grandpa/treemyth.html

          Randall Wilson
          Lebanon, IL
          USA
        • valjuk
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 13, 2002
            Randall, I'm not 100% sure on this, and as this is my first time
            posting in this group, please be kind, if this sounds ridiculous!

            In the Greek version of the Acts of Judas Thomas, the story of
            Gundaphorus and the celestial palace is related. When Gundaphorus
            realises his mistake in imprisoning Thomas and Habban, he frees them
            and asks to be made worthy of entering the service of God. Thomas
            praises Jesus for the miraculous conversion, and asks Gundaphorus to
            prepare for the ceremony of sealing. During the ceremony, Thomas
            poured oil on the heads of Gundaphorus and his brothers, invoking the
            names of the holy spirit. One of these names was "messenger of the
            five members" it goes on to list these five members as: mind,
            thought, reflection, consideration and reason. Certain Syriac
            translations include "intention" or "volition".

            The followers of Mani who had an intimate connection to Thomas Lore
            [note Hippolytus "Refutation of All Heresies": Let none read the
            gospel according to Thomas, for it is the work, not of one of the
            twelve Apostles, but of one of Mani's three wicked disciples]
            regarded the 'pentad of the mind' to be the dwelling place of the
            father of greatness, their supreme godhead. The 'pentad of the mind'
            as it is translated from Manichean texts is sense, reason, thought,
            imagination and will.

            I am not sure whether it is a logical extrapolation or not, but could
            the five trees, or the five members possibly be that which is
            required to achieve gnosis? That which Gnostics called
            the "spark", "spirit", "soul" or "seed"? It says in GTh that "whoever
            knows them will not taste death". Gnostics sought to evade death of
            the spirit by gnosis. If the five trees/members are indeed
            the "spark" which Gnostics sought, then that explains their apparent
            permanence, that "they do not change, summer or winter, and their
            leaves do not fall". It also explains how the stones will come to
            serve those who pay attention to the saying - as gnosis will have
            been achieved.

            Ok, I'm sorry if this explanation seems really convoluted, and is
            just a jumble of ideas, I did try to introduce some degree of logic
            into it. I hope it's of some use?

            James Valente
            London, UK
          • Ron McCann
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 15, 2002
              Randall,

              I think the "Five Trees" of 19 cannot reasonably be the five trees/plants
              you mention because the criteria that their leaves are unchangeable summer
              or winter, and do not fall, is not met. Something eternal and unchanging-
              ie- immortal and 'divine" is being referenced.

              As to the Pistis Sophia connection, I find it intriguing that it states:-"
              he (Jesus) had not told them in which place the five trees are spread'"
              Assuming, this is indeed a reference to the same Jesus-saying found in 19,
              the version of the saying the Pistis Sophia author had in mind, could not
              have contained the words "in Paradise" which we now find in 19. One supposes
              someone subsequently identified "which place" with "Paradise", and added the
              words.

              I cannot escape from the conclusion that 19 is about the Thomas initiate's
              re-entry to Eden (Paradise) and encountering it's 'trees", one of which, of
              course is the Tree of Life, which according to Genesis a man "may eat and
              never die"- that is- he will not, as Adam, who never got to eat of it,
              "taste death".

              There appear to be a number of Edenic references in Thomas which suggest to
              me that a this-lifetime "return to Eden" was part of the Thomasine belief
              system and a necessary step in their 'salvational" scheme- some sort of
              reversal of the "Fall of Man", individually.

              Ron McCann
              Saskatoon, Canada
              > Does anyone believe there is a lost part of the "Pistis Sophia" that
              > might be found to gives some more info? It says "he had not told them
              > in which places the five trees are spread", but then it never
              > mentions them again!
              >
              > My hypothesis is that the five trees in Saying (19) are the
              > five Gnostic rites of initiation and may have been associated with
              > actual plants as were the Greek gods and goddesses.
              >
              > 1.) BAPTISM = LILY (WATER LILY) = JUNO
              > [goddess of childbirth- "born again"]
              >
              > 2.) EUCHARIST = VINE (WINE) = BACCHUS
              > [another dying and resurrecting god!]
              > ??? and WHEAT (BREAD) = DEMETER
              >
              > 3.) CHRISM = OLIVE (OIL) = MINERVA
              > [goddess of Wisdom/Sophia, "Spirit"]
              > ??? OR BALSAM
              >
              > 4.) REDEMPTION = OAK = JUPITER
              > (god of the sky)
              > [meeting archons in ascent through heavens]
              >
              > 5.) BRIDAL CHAMBER = LINDEN = PHILEMON & BAUCIS
              > [the eternal couple representing mutual love]

              Randall Wilson
              > Lebanon, IL
              > USA
            • Ron McCann
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 15, 2002
                Hello James,

                Welcome.
                I liked your analysis.

                Just a comment or two on Hippolytus's statement:->" [note Hippolytus
                "Refutation of All Heresies": Let none read the gospel according to Thomas,
                for it is the work, not of one of the
                twelve Apostle, but of one of Mani's three wicked disciples]."

                I am sure most will agree that he is likely out-to-lunch on that. Mani was
                born in 215-216 AD and began proclaiming his gospel in 242 AD about age 27.
                (He was crucified in 276-277).

                Whereas it is possible that Manicheans could have influenced our Coptic copy
                of Thomas (dated to about 350 CE), and may have used it, they certainly
                didn't create it. If I am not mistaken, the Greek copy we have dates to
                about 225 CE, and clearly cannot have been created or influenced by Mani or
                Manicheans.

                This casts some doubt on the applicability of Manichean ideas and concepts
                to the "five trees" problem.

                Best,

                Ron McCann
                Saskatoon, Canada

              • Didymus5@aol.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 16, 2002
                  Mr Valjuk may be interested in the following excerpts from The Gnostic
                  Apostle Thomas

                  End of chapter 5
                  "Messenger of the five members" is one of the manifestations of the Holy
                  Spirit invoked by Thomas at the sealing of Gundaphorus and Gad. One
                  translator of this passage from the Syriac version has given a certain list
                  of English words referring to various mental functions that we regard as
                  being of a distinctively human order: mind, idea, thoughtfulness,
                  consideration, reasoning. Some translations would include "intention" or
                  "volition." The pentad is an attempt to put into words the distinctive
                  powers or faculties that humans are considered to share with the supremely
                  divine. There is, as always with attempts to define "Mind," a question as to
                  whether it is intended to include that elusive element Gnostics sometimes
                  called "spark" or "spirit" or "soul" or "seed." Given the context, we can
                  assume the most expansive definition was intended in identifying those
                  features that set humandkind apart from all other creatures.
                  Another grouping of five qualities of mind has a direct and intimate
                  connection with Thomas lore. This one was to be found among the followers of
                  Mani, the third-century Mesopotamian prophet of a gnostic religion that
                  combined elements of Buddhism, Christianity, and Zoroastrianism. (We will
                  take a longer look at Manicheism in a later chapter.) Manicheans regarded the
                  five attributes of Mind as the dwelling places of the Father of Greatness,
                  their supreme godhead. The five have been translated as sense, reason
                  thought, imagination (or inventiveness), and intention (or will).
                  Another writing bearing the name of Thomas seems to allude to the "five
                  members." This is the important Gospel of Thomas , an early collection of
                  sayings of Jesus, recorded (so the text claims) by the apostle. For the
                  moment we want to note only one of the sayings which speaks of five trees in
                  Paradise, changeless in summer and winter, "whose leaves do not fail. Whoever
                  becomes acquainted with them will not experience death."
                  Scholars have pointed out that the Psalter of the Manicheans equates the five
                  trees with several other pentads, including the five members of the soul or
                  Mind. A Chinese Buddhist treatise contrasts five kinds of trees of death,
                  poisoned with evil, with "five kinds of matchless precious and luminous trees
                  whose fruits give immortality." The five precious fruits, as we would
                  expect, are consciousness, heart (in China, the seat of reasoning), memory,
                  reflection, and intention.
                  Another fivesome, central to Buddhist thought, may lie behind the five we
                  find in later Chinese Buddhism, Manicheism, and some of the Thomas writings.
                  Buddhists hold that nothing exists by itself. "Things" exist only in
                  relation to other things, in mutual interdependence, all continually acting
                  upon each other in a complex process of causal relationships.
                  Accordingly, we should not think of a continuing, personal Self. What we in
                  our ignorance call the Self is really an interplay of five mental elements
                  and the physical body (known as skandhas ), in temporary conjunctions,
                  constantly changing and interacting. "Skandha" is usually translated as
                  "heap": or "aggregate" or "group," each skandha being itself a combination of
                  faculties shading into each other. The Sanskrit for the five mental skandhas
                  can be translated as consciousness, sensations, concepts, perceptions, and
                  volition.
                  The Buddhist pentad of mental skandhas may well lie behind the notion of
                  "five members" found among Manicheans, and in Thomas writings that Manicheans
                  read (and perhaps edited). Eventually, in central Asia, Buddhist and gnostic
                  ideas and imagery would merge.

                  Chapter 22
                  Through the centuries the Gnostics' fivesomes of attributes of "Mind" are
                  found among Nestorians, Manicheans, and Northern Buddhists in central Asia
                  and China. "The five" (as we have seen) are ways of talking about "mind" in
                  the basic Manichean myth of the contest between the realms of Good and Evil,
                  in the thinking of Northern Buddhism, in the Acts and Gospel of Thomas, and
                  in the Gnostic Dialogue of the Savior found at Nag Hammadi. In central Asia
                  the Manicheans' Five Members or Messengers could become the five Buddhas of
                  Northern Buddhism. According to seventh-century Nestorian texts in Chinese,
                  a human being is constituted by the "five attributes" or "five skandhas,"
                  with the addition of the soul. The Five Members invoked by Thomas when he was
                  sealing King Gondaphorus had merged, at some point, with the five Buddhist
                  mental skandhas. Or perhaps we should speak of the re-merging of ideas and
                  imagery that had evolved from the same source.
                • Didymus5@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 16, 2002
                    I neglected to add my signature to the message re five trees. Chris Merillat
                  • Grondin
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 16, 2002
                      > I neglected to add my signature to the message re five trees. Chris
                      Merillat

                      Yeah, I did too. BTW, could you give the publication details for "The
                      Gnostic Apostle Thomas"? You are the author, as I recall. Also, does the
                      title express your opinion that Christian "gnosticism" (with a small 'g')
                      had its origin in the actual thinking of an historical apostle - as opposed
                      to his name being simply used in a wide variety of later writings, as was
                      the case with a number of other apostles (e.g., "Acts of Peter", "Apocryphon
                      of John", etc)?

                      Mike Grondin
                    • Didymus5@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 16, 2002
                        Mike Grodin

                        The Gnostic Apostle Thomas has been available on the Internet under that
                        title since 1997, and can also be found through the Gospel of Thomas
                        Homepage. It is now also available in a paperback, through Amazon and
                        Barnes and Noble. There are Chapter notes in which the sources of the
                        various statements made in the message on Five Trees can be found.
                        As to your question: my own impression, for what it may be worth, is
                        that groups or a community of early followers of Jesus ascribed various
                        statements or views to Thomas -- as some did to other intermediaries such
                        John or Peter or Paul -- probably beginning in the first century CE, and
                        that these views often had a gnostic character. It also appears that these
                        invocations of Thomas as an authority continued in some movements long
                        after a Christian orthodoxy of sorts emerged in the fourth century and
                        writings under the name of Thomas were condemned. I realize that the matters
                        of dating and source and gnostic influence are much debated in the GTh group.
                        I follow these discussions, under your leadership, with interest, but have
                        little to say beynd what is in my book

                        Best wishes, Chris Merillat
                      • Didymus5@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 17, 2002
                          I neglected to add, for those possibly interested, that The Gnostic Apostle
                          Thomas is also available on line through the Gnosis Archive. Chris Merillat
                        • Ron McCann
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 17, 2002
                            James, further to my last post contained below, and your quote from the
                            writings of St. Hippolytus, I wonder if ascribing this to him is an error?
                            Did you perhaps have in mind material from St.Epipanius of Salamis who
                            penned his "Against Heresies" in 374 CE? I can't find that quote.

                            My information is that Hippolytus was born in 170 CE and died in 235 CE and
                            had thus been dead for 5 or more years when Mani first proclaimed his Gospel
                            in Persia in 242 CE. Someone suggested that Iraneus had also addressed
                            Manicheaism in his "Against Heresies", but he also was long dead when Mani
                            started (Iraneus- born 130 CE, died 202 CE).

                            Although it seems clear to me that Mani or the the Manicheans did not
                            compose Thomas (The Jesus Seminar dates one fragment of the Greek version
                            "to "around 200 CE".) they did adopt it, and may well have 'dicked' with it
                            such that our Coptic version may have 'contaminants" from Manichaeism,
                            particularly given it's late date (350 CE).

                            Egypt became an early hotbed of Manicheaism. The Manicheans expanded rapidly
                            reaching Judea in 274 CE- 3 years before Mani was killed, and subsequently
                            arrived early in Egypt (Alexandria) where in 296, they "having recently come
                            from Persia" were creating problems and the Proconsul of Africa complained
                            about them resulting in an Edict from Diocletian ( March 31, 296) ordering
                            their suppression. Even in 330 CE, St. Anthony is said to have forbidden all
                            intercourse with them.

                            According to the Catholic Encyclopaedia, in the Eastern Roman empire
                            Manicheaism came to the zenith of it's power between AD 375-400 and then
                            rapidly declined. In Egypt the Edict of Theodosius I (AD 381) was directed
                            specifically to their suppression. During this time numerous authors
                            attacked the heresy. Thomas and the rest of the Nag Hammadi collection seem
                            to have been buried about 380 CE, possibly in response to this.

                            Given all this, especially since the Gospel of Thomas was a favorite of the
                            Manicheans, one indeed wonders whether the Coptic copy we have, didn't
                            earlier pass through the hands of Manichean editors such that our Coptic
                            copy may indeed show traces of Manichean concepts and thought. I resile from
                            my early comment. It may indeed be proper to consider them in relation to
                            those sayings in Thomas not found in the Greek.

                            Ron McCann
                            Saskatoon, Canada
                            > Just a comment or two on Hippolytus's statement:->" [note Hippolytus
                            > "Refutation of All Heresies": Let none read the gospel according to
                            Thomas,
                            > for it is the work, not of one of the
                            > twelve Apostle, but of one of Mani's three wicked disciples]."
                            >
                            > I am sure most will agree that he is likely out-to-lunch on that. Mani was
                            > born in 215-216 AD and began proclaiming his gospel in 242 AD about age
                            27.
                            > (He was crucified in 276-277).
                            >
                            > Whereas it is possible that Manicheans could have influenced our Coptic
                            copy
                            > of Thomas (dated to about 350 CE), and may have used it, they certainly
                            > didn't create it. If I am not mistaken, the Greek copy we have dates to
                            > about 225 CE, and clearly cannot have been created or influenced by Mani
                            or
                            > Manicheans.
                            >
                            > This casts some doubt on the applicability of Manichean ideas and concepts
                            > to the "five trees" problem.
                            >
                            > Best,
                            >
                            > Ron McCann
                            > Saskatoon, Canada

                          • Grondin
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 17, 2002
                              James Valente wrote:
                              > [note Hippolytus "Refutation of All Heresies": Let none read the
                              > gospel according to Thomas, for it is the work, not of one of the
                              > twelve Apostles, but of one of Mani's three wicked disciples]

                              Ron McCann responded:
                              > ... your quote from the writings of St. Hippolytus,
                              > I wonder if ascribing this to him is an error?

                              It is indeed. According to the Layton Brill edition of Codex II, vol.1,
                              p.105-6, the quote is from Cyril of Jerusalem, circa 348 C.E. As quoted
                              therein:

                              "This one (Mani) had three disciples: Thomas, Baddas, and Hermas. Let no one
                              read the _Gospel According to Thomas_, for he is not one of the twelve
                              apostles, but one of the three wicked disciples of Mani."

                            • docgroove1017
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 20, 2002
                                Ron,
                                If a human disciple is capable of "not tasting death" by "making the
                                two into one", entering a Kingdom transcending all opposites, a new
                                world without Summer or Winter Solstice, only Equinox, then one could
                                reasonably expect that within this Kingdom, even normally deciduous
                                plants/trees would no longer undergo their normal seasonal changes.

                                If, however, you believe seasonal plants/trees must be ruled out, I
                                would offer you an alternate hypothesis that the 5 trees represent
                                the 5 virtues as put forth by Philo. These 5 virtues may also be
                                correlated to the 5 Gnostic rites.

                                The following quotes are from _The Works of Philo - Complete and
                                Unabridged_, translated by C D Younge, 1993, Hendrickson publishers.
                                Allegorical Interpretation I, XVII and XVIII
                                "And God caused to rise out of the earth every tree which is pleasant
                                to the sight and good for food, and the tree of life he raised in the
                                middle of the Paradise, and also the tree of knowledge of good and
                                evil."
                                (Philo says)"He here gives a sketch of the trees of virtue which he
                                plants in the soul." ..."But the tree of life is that most general
                                virtue which some people call goodness, from which the particular
                                virtues are derived, and of which they are composed." ..."but as to
                                the other tree, that namely of the knowledge of good and evil, he has
                                not specified whether it is within or outside of the Paradise."

                                "And a river goes forth out of Eden to water Paradise...separated
                                into four heads...Pheison...Gihon...Tigris...Euphrates"
                                (Philo says)"In these words Moses intends to sketch out the
                                particular virtues. And they also are four in number."
                                "Prudence, Temperance, Courage, and Justice."
                                "Now the greatest river from which the four branches flow off, is
                                generic virtue, which we have already called goodness."
                                The tree of Life would correspond to the ultimate culmination of
                                Gnosis or the "bridal chamber", while the elementary lessons of right
                                and wrong or "Justice" would correspond to repentance and "Baptism".
                                "Temperence" would refer to moderation in food and drinkk, thus
                                corresponding to the holy meal of the "Eucharist". "Prudence" would
                                be associated with Wisdom or Spiritual fire and annointing with the
                                oil of "Chrism", while "Courage" would be a necessity for confronting
                                the menacing archons in ascent through the heavens during the rite
                                of "Redemption".