Re: [GTh] Literacy rates in Jerusalem during the first century.

  • Jack Kilmon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002
      From: "Michael Mozina" <michael@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2002 6:00 PM
      Subject: [GTh] Literacy rates in Jerusalem during the first century.

      > I'm curious what might be a good reference source that talks about
      literacy
      > rates in Jerusalem during the early first century. I keep hearing that it
      > was very low, but I've yet to hear a lot of hard facts to support these
      > numbers.

      a.. Baines, J., 'Literacy and Ancient Egyptian Society', Man (n.s.), 18
      (1983), pp. 572-599.

      a.. Baines, J., and C. J. Eyre, 'Four Notes on Literacy', Goettinger
      Miszellen, 61 (1983), pp. 65-96.

      a.. Baines, J., 'Literacy, social organization, and the archeological
      record: the case of early Egypt', John Gledhill, Barbara Bender and Mogens
      Trolle Larsen (eds.), State and Society: The Emergence and development of
      social hierarchy and political centralization, London: Unwin Hyman, 1988,
      pp. 192-214.

      a.. Bar-Ilan, M., 'Illiteracy as reflected in the Halakhot concerning the
      Reading of the Scroll of Esther and the Hallel', Proceedings of the American
      Academy for Jewish Research, 54 (1987), pp. 1-12 (Hebrew).

      a.. Bar-Ilan, M., 'From Scroll to Codex and its Effect on Reading the
      Torah', Sinai, 107 (1991), pp. 242-254 (Hebrew).

      a.. Bar-Ilan, M., 'Illiteracy in the Land of Israel in the First Centuries
      C.E.', S. Fishbane, S. Schoenfeld and A. Goldschlaeger (eds.), Essays in the
      Social Scientific Study of Judaism and Jewish Society, II, New York: Ktav,
      1992, pp. 46-61. (Abstract).

      a.. Bar-Ilan, M., 'The Literate Woman in Antiquity', a chapter in the book
      by: idem. Some Jewish Women in Antiquity, Atlanta, GA: Scholars Press (Brown
      Judaic Studies 317), 1998 (Abstract).

      a.. Beard, M. (ed.), Literacy in the Roman World, Ann arbor, MI: Journal of
      Roman Archaeology, 1991.

      a.. Bowman Alan K., and Greg Woolf (eds.), Literacy and power in the ancient
      world, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994.

      a.. Bryan, Betsy M., 'Evidence for Female Literacy from Theban Tombs of the
      New Kingdom', Bulletin of the Egyptological Seminar, 6 (1985), pp. 17-32.

      a.. Cipolla, Carlo M., Literacy and Development in the West, Penguin Books,
      Middlesex England 1969.

      a.. Cole, Susan Guettel, 'Could Greek Woman Read and Write?', Helene P.
      Foley (ed.), Reflections of Women in Antiquity, New York - London - Paris
      1981, pp. 219-245.

      a.. Demsky A., and M. Bar-Ilan, 'Writing in Ancient Israel and Early
      Judaism', Compendia Rerum Iudaicarum ad Novum Testamentum, Section II, vol.
      I, MIKRA, M. J. Mulder (ed.), van Gorcum, Assen / Maastricht & Fortress
      Press, Philadelphia 1988, pp. 1-38.

      a.. Gerhardson, B., Memory and Manuscript: Oral Tradition and Written
      Transmission in Rabbinic Judaism and Early Christianity, Lund 1961.

      a.. Gerhardson, B., Tradition and Transmission in Early Christianity,
      Copenhagen: Ejnar Munksaard, 1964.

      a.. Goody, J. (ed.), Literacy in Traditional Societies, Cambridge: Cambridge
      University Press, 1968.

      a.. Goody, J., The Domestication of the Savage Mind, Cambridge: Cambridge
      University Press, 1977.

      a.. Gosal, G. S., 'Literacy in India: An Interpretative Study', Rural
      Sociology, 29 (1964), pp. 261-277.

      a.. Graff, H., Literacy in History: An Interdisciplinary Research
      Bibliography with adendum, Chicago: Newberry Library, 1976 (rep. 1979).

      a.. Graff, H. (ed.), Literacy and Social Development, Cambridge 1981.

      a.. Harris, W. V., Ancient Literacy, Cambridge, Massachusetts - London,
      England, 1989.

      a.. Harris, W. V., 'Greco-Roman Literacy and Comparative Method', The
      History Teacher, 24/1 (1990), pp. 93-98.

      a.. Harris, William V., 'Why Did the Codex Supplant the Book-Roll?', John
      Monfasani and Ronald G. Musto (eds.), Renaissance Society and Culture,
      Essays in Honor of Eugene F. Rice, Jr., Italica Press, New York, 1991, pp.
      71-85.

      a.. Harvey, F. D., 'Literacy in the Athenian Democracy', REG, 79 (1966), pp.
      585-635.

      a.. Havelock, Eric A., The Literate Revolution in Ancient Greece and Its
      Cultural Consequences, Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1982.

      a.. Hezser, Catherine, Jewish Literacy in Roman Palestine, Tuebingen: Mohr
      Siebeck, 2001.

      a.. Jaffee, M. S., 'Writing and Rabbinic Oral Tradition: On Mishnaic
      narrative, Lists and Mnemonics', The Journal of Jewish Thought and
      Philosophy, 4 (1994), pp. 123-146.

      a.. Keller-Cohen, Deborah (ed.), Literacy: Interdisciplinary Conversations,
      Cresskill, New Jersey: Hampton Press, 1994.

      a.. Krishan G., and M. Shyam, 'Literacy Pattern of India Cities', Geoforum,
      19 (1974), pp. 77-80.

      a.. Krishan G., and M. Shyam, 'Regional Aspects of Urban-Rural Differential
      in Literacy in India: 1971', The Journal of Developing Areas, 13 (1978), pp.
      11-21.

      a.. Larsen, M. T., 'Introduction: literacy