RE: [GTh] Christian origins.

  • David C. Hindley
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2002
      Tom Saunders asks,

      >>A brief segment of the History International documentary,
      "The Rise of Christianity" mentioned an Apostle's village
      started before 41 A.D. by Peter and other Apostles. It was
      described as a commune were everyone shared but used the
      wealth of the community to send out evangelists. I have
      never heard of this village before.

      It seems to me that this place and time would have been the
      primary source of oral, and possibly written traditions.
      Does anyone have a source for more information about it?<<

      This just sounds like a politically correct way to refer to
      the situation described in Acts 2:44-47. Some commentators
      used to say this was a "commune" (and it was) but that makes
      it seem like the early Christians were some sort of
      "Commies." "Village" preserves the communal angle but
      doesn't sound bad. Still, what the heck is a village doing
      smack dab in the middle of Jerusalem? <please, no smart alec
      comments from the lurkers about Jerusalem being not much of
      a town ... yeah, yeah, yeah>

      Respectfully,

      Dave Hindley
      Cleveland, Ohio, USA