Christian origins.

  • Tom Saunders
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1 12:40 AM
      A brief segment of the History International documentary, "The Rise of Christianity" mentioned an Apostle's village started before 41 A.D. by Peter and other Apostles. It was described as a commune were everyone shared but used the wealth of the community to send out evangelists. I have never heard of this village before.

      It seems to me that this place and time would have been the primary source of oral, and possibly written traditions. Does anyone have a source for more information about it?

      Tom Saunders
      Platter Flats, OK

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1 5:02 AM
        Tom Saunders asks,

        >>A brief segment of the History International documentary,
        "The Rise of Christianity" mentioned an Apostle's village
        started before 41 A.D. by Peter and other Apostles. It was
        described as a commune were everyone shared but used the
        wealth of the community to send out evangelists. I have
        never heard of this village before.

        It seems to me that this place and time would have been the
        primary source of oral, and possibly written traditions.
        Does anyone have a source for more information about it?<<

        This just sounds like a politically correct way to refer to
        the situation described in Acts 2:44-47. Some commentators
        used to say this was a "commune" (and it was) but that makes
        it seem like the early Christians were some sort of
        "Commies." "Village" preserves the communal angle but
        doesn't sound bad. Still, what the heck is a village doing
        smack dab in the middle of Jerusalem? <please, no smart alec
        comments from the lurkers about Jerusalem being not much of
        a town ... yeah, yeah, yeah>

        Respectfully,

        Dave Hindley
        Cleveland, Ohio, USA