Bruce Codex

  • Jim Bauer
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2002
      Here is yet another reference to the five trees, out of "the Untitled Treatise in the Bruce Codex". However, I have no idea when this manuscript is dated to and found next to nothing on it on the web, apart from the translation here. If it existed prior to Thomas it could be a source; as for the Manicheans, I believe they were post-Thomas but often mystical symbols tend to remain constant as they are spread to different schools of thought.

      >>There is again another place which is called: deep. There are three fatherhoods within it. The first father there is the covered one, who is the hidden God. In the second father there stands five trees, and there is a table in their midst. And an only-begotten word (logos) stands above the table, he having the twelve aspects of the mind of the All ; and the prayer of each one is brought to him. This is he over whom the All rejoiced because he appeared.<<

      Jim Bauer
      Havre, Montana

    • David C. Hindley
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
        Jim Bauer:

        Here was the only response I was able to get from the TC
        list with regard to my inquiry about the Bruce Codex.

        ----------

        Subject: Re: The MSS of the Bruce Codex, some details
        please...
        From: John Lupia <jlupia2@...>
        Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:35:55 -0700 (PDT)

        Dear David:

        The best reference is an article written by Michael
        Allen Williams, "Codex Brucianus," in The Anchor Bible
        Dictionary, ed. D. N. Freedman (New York: Doubleday,
        1992). For additional information write to:

        Bodleian Library
        Broad Street
        Oxford
        OX1 3BG