dating evidence from practical experiment.

  • steve oxbrow
    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2002
      I'd like to run this past you all. It concerns the
      location and dating of GThomas and the Greek gospels
      that have come down to us as for instance the
      'Authorised Version'.
      Now Thos 9 lines 56-66 gives a yield of 60 fold and
      120 fold whereas Matthew (et al)13: 4-8 give 100, 60
      and 30 fold. With the knowledge gained by growing
      Emmer Wheat over several years experimentally I find
      that residual landraces of the crop have an average of
      30 seeds per seedhead, so all versions are refering to
      Tillering, 1 to 4 tillers or seedheads per plant. We
      also know that Greek (espescially Attic) were and are
      poor compared to Egypt and also perhaps 'the land
      flowing with milk and honey'. The Matthew version
      works out at half the Thos version yield. 1 ton/Ha and
      2tons/Ha respectivly are the accepted yields, the
      latter still current in 1957 before the effects of the
      Aswan High Dam were felt. We now rely on artifical
      fertilisers and year round irrigation to replace the
      annual top dressing of Nile mud. Salination is
      beginning to manifest its ugly head, so Egypt will be
      reduced to Barley as a staple crop in the forseeable
      future as was Mesopotamia in pre-history.
      Based on this alone, I would place Thos in Coptic
      Egypt, possibly in the version we have, at late 1st
      Cent and the other gospels as Greece, early 4th Cent.
      I.e. post Nicea. The elaboration of the texts may
      indicate that they were derived from earlier texts
      contemporary with GThos.

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com